Soaking food... Garlic, etc.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by gabbagabbawill, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

ok, every jar of minced garlic I have found so far has phosphoric acid in it... I don't want to add anything with P04 directly to my tank... so I got some fresh garlic and minced it myself... tried soaking some nori in RO/DI water with the garlic, but didn't have the best results.... I'm thinking of trying the brightwell garlic extract product.. anyone ever use that stuff before?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

gabba

I used to just press the garlic and allow the juice to drip onto the nori (moving the press about so the drops go to different locations
    leave it to stand a couple of mins and it will soak in and then you dont have the mess with RODI situation

never used Brightwell (availability) did use Kents Garlic guard (convenience) and poured a tiny amount into the cap, dripped it on nori and spread with a clean finger

or added tiny bit to cap, poured in a few pellets, allowed them to stand a few minutes and then poured the soaked pellets into my tank (then rinsed the cap)

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I use Seachem Garlic and Selcon. I take a dropper and spread it along the seaweed while it is in the clip and spread it like Steve does. I also take a Tupperware bowl with the tank water in it and place the nori in the clip in the solution and soak for 5 minutes and then put it in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbagabbawill

Thanks, I'll try that! I think I may pick up the Brightwell stuff, as it has a citric acid (instead of phosphoric acid) as a preservative and seems like it will be a ton easier to administer... just a few drops on the nori/ frozen food. My LFS carries it, though it's ~$15, it will be less the hassle than trying to mess with raw garlic.

Though, one side benefit of using raw garlic is that my hands still smell like garlic today... ::)

6. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

yesterday i found at the lfs nori with garlic already added. im not home now to tell you what brand exactly it is (later probably if you are interested) and i found a garlic extract, i read the mode of use and they mention adding it to nori but couple of drops only. this lfs has also flakes and pellets with garlic.
    imho, i dont know what is the benefit of garlic beside taste enhancer, and a way to attract your fish to the feeding zone. if anyone with scientific facts please correct me if im wrong.
    very good topic thanks.

7. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I use Kent Garlic Extreme. Easy to use as it has an eye dropper in the bottle. Only use 1 drop per feeding. It is 99% garlic juice, and 1% citric and ascorbic acid (preservative). I keep it refrigerated and it will probably last me forever.

Have you looked at the Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select? It has garlic already added. My Kole Tank seems to like it.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

Garlic is said to help with intestinal parasites and boost immune system/ health of fish... I don't want to get into a discussion the merits of that statement, as I haven't seen any factual evidence that it does work, nor have I seen real proof to the contrary. But there are a lot of folks who swear by it, and it's cheap and safe.

10. gabbagabbawill

I have seen that, but since I can get dried laver (nori) very cheap (approx $3 for 50 sheets) at a local asian supermarket, I'd prefer to use and dose the latter.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Man, all three of my tang eat Rods, mysis and pellets. I have tried Nori sheets and they just shy away from it.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Gazog, have you only tried it in the clip? it may be that they are afraid of the clip. Mine would eat the clip if it weren't plastic.

as for garlic, it does have some immuno boosting properties according to homeopathic medicinal experts for humans. we use garlic oil with some other extracts in our son's ears to prevent ear infections and I cook with it so much I buy it pre-minced in a tub from Sam's. that said, ti does have Phosphoric acid in it as a preservative.

all that said, it will NOT cure C. Irritans (marine ICH). I tried to feed nori soaked in garlick to my tangs when I first got Cyrpt, and they actually shied away from it. were less aggressive in eating it. Go figure. I then read that it will not cure Crypt.