So You Want To Go Barebottom But You Have Questions...

Discussion in 'Sand' started by NUHTTY, May 5, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Matt, so what are you REALLY asking here? LOL!!!!;D :tongue4:

2. Click Here!

3. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Yea Matt Iam kinda lost to???

Mike

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:)
    I asked if someone could tell me about their nitrates with these setups and if there was any shock when converting to BB with fish, etc.

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

That was a nice little summery of the BB tank. The only thing I didn't like was your reasoning for starboard and suggesting a true BB tank. The reason you use starboard aside from looks is it prevents breakage of glass. If you were not to use starboard the LR would produce pressure points which could cause glass breakage. I would not suggest going barebottom unless you have something protecting the glass. Even in my sand tanks I have a piece of acrylic on the bottom to reduce pressure points. JMHO

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Good point Somethingfishy.

Matt I have never had any measurable nitrates or phosphates. If you have an existing dsb and you want to switch you have to take everything out, dont try it while it is setup.
    Another big thing is to make sure you install good low flow, this will greatly reduce the maintence and keep the good stuff in the water column

MIke

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Mike. I guess I'll wait until the right time. Maybe after I replace my RO filters I'll make a big batch of water and get tubs ready for rock and fish.

8. Click Here!

9. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Alright Matt! Time to get the sand out of your shorts and go BB.....LOL.
    Scott

10. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Yea Matt if you already have a mature dsb tank I would let it go its route prior to changing direction. If you are starting to see some of the pitfalls or degradation then go for the switch.

Mike

11. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If you have a tank where the bottom is not tempered and it cannot take the pressure of rock sitting on it, well...I wouldnt want that tank in my house.

Most people dont use anything on the bottom of their tanks. Rock and sand is placed right on the glass in most cases.

The only time where I could see something happening would be if a large rock fell onto the glass...but if that happens you need to rethink your aquascaping.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You must be lucky. Happens to me every now and then, cleaning the glass or catching the net on one. A little protection seems merited to me.