So tell me...

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by phorn, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Not "stupid" at all.

Nice size tank to start out with if your are unsure about or have $ for a larger one.

Need to get Reef keeping skills up to speed as quick as you can.

Things can go sideways awfully quick in a smaller tank.

Be prepared to do some intense tank maintenance.

Study up.

MH's definetly not required depending on what you want to keep. (avoid sps and clams and you will have no problem with what you have)

Enjoy and have fun.

Rgds

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

That IMO is a excellent place to start. Yes you have to be a little more vigilante with a smaller tank because yes things do tend to go south allot faster than with, lets say a 90 gallon. But after being out of the hobby for about 10 years (in this hobby it might as well have been 100) and having to learn everything anew, I started with a 10 gallon and a 16 gallon.

Best advice I can give you is same everyone else will give you, go slow, learn as much as possible and once its up and running "water changes" be consistent. If you do this you should never have a problem.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I started with a 12 gallon nanocube and now have a 5.5 gallon:-/:-/.. I will be setting up a 20 or 30 gallon in the hopefully near future, and I've decided thats as big as I'll go for quite a long time...;D

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

you can technically go with a MH clip on and do a 14 or 20k bulb and technically not have to have acintics but their still good to have, alot of people run just the MH 14k and do ok 20k is a little better imo as a stand alone bulb

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

if you get the right spectrum halide you dont need actinics. i tend to like 14k but i like my tank a little bluer. you would have to buy moonlights if you wanted them. moon lights aren't necessary to the well being of the animals. as far as installing the lights with out a hood you could get a pendant that hangs down from the ceiling or a hook. Aquarium Lights Hellolights.com this site usually has good deals on lighting you could also try ebay(i get bulbs of there for around 15 dollars)

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Yeah, once you start there is no looking back...8)

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

K-2 Viper Deluxe

has the fan and moon lights already built on and has a 14k bulb included

10. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

You are SO right. I can't walk by a big tank without drooling...(hey, enough of that in the tank and I'd just have to add some salt...):drool:

11. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

I didn't see a price listed...does that mean "if you have to ask...you can't afford it"?

12. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

By the way to everyone...Thanks for the replys!!!