So I need to cycle this ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kim, Oct 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kim

kim Astrea Snail

Hi folks,

My LFS has a new Mantis that I really want. ( It will make my 3rd) No idea what kind it is, it is jet black with emerald swimeretts and some red near it's eyes.
    Heres the question, If I buy a new 40 gal tank and 50 lbs of live rock, take the rock home and put directly in the tank without it ever seeing air (I'll use buckets to transport) Will I need to cycle the tank before adding the Mantis??

Kim

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

most likely the live rock you buy will not be "cured". Even if it is, there will be some die-off and you can expect a tank cycle. Not to mention that you will be mixing up new water, which will need to cycle... most tanks take weeks to go through the first cycle, months for the second, IME.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would buy dry rock and take a couple of rocks from your other tanks if you are in a hurry.

5. kim

kim Astrea Snail

My LFS has a huge tank that they keep the rock in, supposed to be precycled. But I guess it's not worth taking the chance. I will see if they will hold the Mantis for me for a month or so. Thanks guys

Kim

1 person likes this.