So I have a spare 20 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Frags' started by pwoller, Jan 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

So I am thinking of putting together a frag tank. I want to know what equipment you think I need to run this thing. I have seen so many differant set ups for frag tanks that it makes me wonder if they just need light, circulation and time. Would t5 lighting, hob filter, and circulation pumps be enough?

2. Click Here!

3. jski711

jski711 Astrea Snail

t5 lighting would be fine as long as you have individual reflectors on each bulb. i have a 75g sps reef and use a 6 bulb tek fixture that can grow sps anywhere in my tank. I don't like the hob filters but i guess it would be okay, i would rather have a sump but if its not an option then work with what ya got. as far as circulation some powerheads and some live rock for a bio filter would be wise as well. i would take water from your current tank and use that to set up the frag tank. i also have a 24g nano/frag tank and have 2 24w t5ho bulbs and grow sps frags in there as well, they don't grow very fast but i don't keep up with the tank as well as my main display. here are some pics of my sps under my t5s.

blue tip stag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jski711

jski711 Astrea Snail

and my frag tank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jski711

jski711 Astrea Snail

i have a garf bonsai in the frag tank along with another unknown acro that has green polyps you can see in the 3rd picture. hth.

Jake

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Nice frag tank jski711....