So did LED ever get to MH par values?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by robwerden, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Saw some talk of it, even saw some stores selling set ups for 3 or 4 thousand, then it all was discontinued.

Is led technology just not there yet?

2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

The technology is there, it's jsut really expensive. On RC, there are a few threads of people DIYing there on LED fixtures and getting great results, but even a DIY is expensive.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I have actually been doing some research on this myself...
    I learn a lot about light and the use of electricity in my various classes here at penn state so i set out to see what i could do... and it was a lot!

My tank is still running on MH for main light source but i have supplemented both my actinic lighting with LED and my moonlights with LED. I am in the process of designing a LED fixture to replace my MH now. If you want more information or some resources I am more than happy to give them! :)

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

and to replace my actinic light and my moonlight it has cost me a total of $40.

They only pull about 0.125 amps of power too... 175W MH pulls 1.8 amps

7. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

I'm interested in checking out the replacement actinics! Do you get the same coloration and such as a T5?

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yes, its a lot of info to put on here. you can pm me about it though

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I know Matt posted a very good link but there is a similar read by James Fatherree in TFH magazine a month or two back and the fixture he tested, which I believe was a Solaris beat MH big time....

BUT they went under not because the fixtures didn't work or were too expensive they were sued for copywrite infringement....

The DIY fixtures I have seen haven't even come close to the numbers the Solaris did...

1 person likes this.