So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have mangroves in my fuge. they dont need intense light, although they may do better under them. Mine are under a 6k home depot grow light in a 4.99 socket/reflector. I have them on an inverted light schedule along with my ATS.

2. Click Here!

3. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Aside from the benefit I think it looks cool just like.maybe one how long.should I wait to out that in? And I would be adding it to my tank not in a fuge... would that be a problem?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

4. dskyers

So got home did not stop and buy more live rock don't know why lol. Bit water had cleard aalot I can see.in tank real nice not crystal clear water though? But I did noticed when I walked in my bed room tank water has a real bad smell did I do something wrong? Also filled up to level and did salt test and I'm good its almost no sound except very small water drips thanks for the advice. Here's some pics as I rearranged the rocks I do have thank for the help

Also there something purple with lil fingers on it what is best camara phone macro pic I can take sorry

Attached Files:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No that bad smell is some of the die off decaying. This starts the cycle. The beneficial bacteria will start to reproduce. Sometimes if you run some carbon it will help cut down on the odor or just wait it out a couple days.

I like the rock arrangement better and it also looks better with the water level higher.

6. dskyers

Okay thanks your very helpful could u send me a link of your tank .. if it starts to be real bad ill do the carbon I also just did first real water test. Here are results and a pic everything in my opinion is good except ammonia level is way up there look how green it is everything else seems fine photo attached ..

Attached Files:

7. Corailline

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Well actually I take that back, I had no idea it was that long. Not much but images of corals, page 75 is more than enough of my tank. lol

Results look good. Ammonia means decay, nitrite means you have some de-nitrifying bacteria converting that ammonia to nitrite, next will come nitrates.

10. dskyers

11. dskyers

Very nice indeed looks like there's no way I'm going be satisfied with a fowlr tank now lol

12. willy0508

willy0508 Plankton

If you are looking at skimmer and want a HOB I like the eshopps.

ES-PSK-75H Premium Aquatics - ES-PSK-75H Aquarium Supplies
    (wanted to link Eshopps website but it seems they are marked as not safe by google and Firefox. :confused: Didn't know if one of the sponsors carried this model)

It's a good skimmer and the pump is outside of the tank so it doesn't clutter it up. Also Octopus make some good skimmers. Just depend if you are doing a sump or not on the choice between HOB and in sump.