So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Yea I have just 15 I was going to try and go buy some more after work that has the coraline stuff on it and try and break some up to help promote the growth or is that a bad idea? Question I live in miami and really close to the water can't I just go for a swim and get some or.is that illegal in some way?

As for water level how far up should it be? Did not know so left room for error? Salt level is on point though.

the guy in the store lol told me to Put pee in it I have yet to do so going with better judgment lol is this safe? but I did put a small shirmp in there and there two snails inside the tank too don't know where they came from I guess off the rock I bought last night.

I do notice a little green alge I think building up in the corners like along the seems ... is this bad all ready? Or normal?

Thanks hopefully it will be nicer once I get more rock there tonight ogling to buy another 15 pounds. Should be good I think?

I was looking at a hang in back protein Skimmer for a 25 gallon tank the was 40 dollers is this a waste of money or would it help?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Depends on the skimmer, I would avoid the Cyclone brand though. I forgot the name of the HOB skimmer I like, I will try to fine it and post it. A skimmer is going to give you more room for error, but do not skimp, choose wisely on the type of skimmer.

Happy Reefing. :)

4. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Hello hello dyskers. To answer a few of your questions.. Personally, I would get a skimmer. I have a prizm HOB skimmer that works great, but I got it with the tank. Another 15 lbs of live rock and I think you'll be good to go! Your going to notice an algae build up over the next few wks. Your rocks and sand will be covered in a nasty brown film in no time, called diatoms. Don't even mess with it, just let it be, as it will dissipate as quickly as it came. Now I've heard of ppl peeing in there tanks. Its to introduce the ammonia into your tank to begin your cycle. Personally, I wasn't about to whip it out and pee in my tank lol, so I put a dead cocktail shrimp in mine, and let it fester in there for a few days. That will get your cycle started. Keep testing every few days and you'll see a spike in your ammonia. Followed by a drop within a few days. I waited a month from the time I added my water, until I added my first fish. Make sure your cycle has completely phased out, as you can have a mini cycle soon after your first initial ammonia spike. Try to get your water level just up to the top of the tank. With the lights, your water will evaporate quickly, so you'll have to do RO freshwater topoffs just about everyday. About the rocks, as far as I know, its not illegal to take your own rocks from the ocean. At least I know it's not in Texas, BUT it could be in Florida, so don't quote me on that. HOWEVER. Personally, I would avoid taking rock directly from the ocean, you never know what sort of hitchhikers you may bring into your tank that way.. It may cost a few extra bucks buying the rock, but "better safe than sorry". Hope this helps!

5. dskyers

thanks for the advice will correct tonight once i get home and buy some more rock. and the link for the hob skimmer would be appriciated thanks;D

6. dskyers

So as far as stocking tank I know I'm not there yet but would like to start saving up some money for fish and would like to have an idea of how many and what kinds? I want to go with more carribian fish as everything will be as carribian as possible... Amy suggestions? Would like as many as fish possible maybe a school of fish would not mind one type of fish in a large school? I also like octopus but internet seems to think I'm not ready for that. Maybe I was thinkin three black clowns to start and build from there?

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

octo's are one of those things best left for the ocean or the zoo. they have very special needs & a limited lifecycle as well.

Check liveaquaria, they have an entire category dedicated to caribean fish.

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

Thanks

10. dskyers

Also just saw a tank with mangroves can I do that as well? Or do I need something speacial?

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You will need intense lighting for mangroves to really do well at all. They do best with the upper leafy area exposed to air and a lighting fixture suspended so you can adjust the distance as they grow.

I love mangroves and have seen some small systems with them growing. Mostly though you see them growing in the sumps or fuges as a way to export nitrates.

12. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I'm not too sure about the 3 clowns. Try 2. Having 3 clowns will just make one of them "the odd man out", and will probably start some fights.