So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That's why I came here. I think these forums are good in eliminating trail and error and in process don't hurt as many fish. So works out for us both.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Generally speaking to assist well with biologicial filtration you should lean (opinions in general) between 1-2lbs of rock per gallon. Some rocks are more pourous and favored about others. More pourous also mean more $$$. The pukani from BRS is well favored but its a premium rock at a premium price. Pukani was out of my budget & I went with thier eco rocks and love em. marco rocks is another favorite if your shopping online. My 75 I have around 100lbs in the tank plus another 10-15lbs of rubble in my fuge, but I am a big fan of fuge's, biological & natural (turf scrubbers) filtration. I started out with 60 lbs of dry base rock & 45 lbs of live rock.

I have plenty of hermits & snails. Yes some of my fish (my hawkfish in particular) seems to enjoy snacking on 1 or 2 a week, but check out reefcleaners.org (one of the sponsors here), he keeps we well stocked & with in my budget on a clean up crew. I have also yet to receive a shipment without extas so he is my dedicated seller.

4. dskyers

Should I have pump running I do now and I'm at work will it still be cloudy when I come.home?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes keep running the pumps, sometimes it can take a couple days for the water to clear. Having some type of mechanical filtration in the hang on the back filter like sponge or floss will help remove some of the suspended particles.

6. dskyers

Okay thanks was thinking maybe no pump so sand could settle but that's fine and the filter iis a Bio wheel 200 I put two filters in the back and when I looked at it about thirty minutes layer had a good amount of stuff so thanks hope when I come home it looks better

7. sodium

sodium Astrea Snail

Hi dskyers -
    welcome to 3 reef...looks like u are doing the rite thing by asking questions and taking the advice of the peeps here (they know alot)... like they all said before just go slow and be patient. I wasnt when i first started out a fews years back and literaly paid the price, my tank was running "dead" for awhile b/c i lost everything and wasted a lot of money. Took me awhile to get things running again... so good luck and your patients will pay off in the end! cant wait to see it a couple of months from now.

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

Thanks I can't wait either hopefully its will be beautiful

10. dskyers

Just picked up about 15 pounds of.live Haitian rock that has been cured to help with cycle and some extra salt to get it to the right level can't wait to get home!

11. dskyers

Day two water alot clear now very happy.about that

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ok cool? So how many pounds of rock do you have, just the 15lbs? The more live rock you have (within reason) in the tank the larger the biological filter and that leads to a more stable tank.

Also I would bring the water level up some.

Have you added anything to the tank yet in the way of raw table shrimp?

Looking good.