So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks. As far as the fish go he told me that there good for.cycling but that they are aggressive and that once I'm ready to start stocking up I could bring them back and he would trade them out accordingly? Sound right? I don't mind waiting the shrimp idea. As I would cook the rest lol. And as for the salt level I plan on correctin it tonight as best as I can and will look into the piece of equipment u suggested. Will any salt work or.do I need to buy instant ocean? I will pick that and a couple pounds of live rock to begin with tonight or tommarow and throw in shirmp for about a week. I don't want to rush as I hope to have a beautiful tank in my room in a couple of months. As far as what I would like. I love the look of all the corals and annamies ( I know that's not how u spell it) lol and the inverts crabs clams and some fish. So my goal is a reef tank.but for now I want to maybe do what I guess is called Fowlr tank and save the reef for llater and a bigger tank I can put in living room. So lots of live rock fish maybe a couple coral. I want more purple look to tank any way to influence that look?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. twelvebeer

twelvebeer Spaghetti Worm

You got a good deal on all that stuff! Look at the dates on your test kits to make sure they are still in date.

4. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I recommend you only get a little bit of live rock, and then get a bunch of base rock from reefcleaners (a sponsor here). It will be a LOT cheaper, so you can get all the rock you need in your tank. Then just let it cycle. It's hard to be patient... but it will pay off!

5. dskyers

Yea I checked the dates and there good I also tested waters and my nitrate 2 is good and.nitrate 3 is good as well my high range Ph is about a 8.4 maybe being optimistic and my ammonia is at I think .25 ppm so will give a day or two will correct with a lil salt and what ever else but thanks

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

A FOWLR is a good way to start. Let the tank grow & you grow with it. Start with fish, then once your comfortable move into some basic corals like some zoa's, xenia, so on and so forth. There are many opinions on salt. I personally like IO reef crystals. Its a good choice if you want to go with corals a little on down the road. Anemone's depending on the type can be a little demanding so I would put them some where down in with the corals on the list of priorities/experience. When you say purple look I will assume (correct me if wrong) the purple look on your rocks? That is coralline algae and you will see it start to grow over time. One thing to think of in advance, if your looking for direversity in your tank you'll want to skip urchins as they eat coralline. Read into your crab selections when you get that far as the various crabs can eat/pick at fish and or eat corals as well.

7. dskyers

Well how much do u consider a little bit? And will check the bade rock out.

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

Thanks that's the route ill be going. And yes the coralline alge so it grows on the live rock? Something to look up thanks. What's is a io reef crystal? And sounds like maybe I don't want crabs lol thanks

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

No no, dont take that the wrong way, not all crabs are tank killers. I have 2 emeralds in my tank as an example. One actually moved in and shares a hole with my goby. lol. Yes a crab. Some people have had the same crab and had them nip at zoa's & other soft corals. Arrow crabs for example are sold as 'reef safe' but I've read enough peoples accounts on them eating fish I wouldnt own one. Look into shrimp, cleaner shrimp & fire shrimp, I think those will be more appealling and what your looking for.

IO reef crystals = Instant ocean reef crystals. Just one of thier lines of salt. In general it is a little better quality and better with the trace elements to help your tank. I used regular IO salt but when the LFS had reef crystals on overstock sale I bought it instead, my corals seemed to respond well to it and just been using it since.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes please do not cycle the tank with live animals, the ammonia spike causes burning of the fishes gills and stress. You can cycle the tank without stressing out any livestock.

The LFS would tell you it's good to cycle the tank with an elephant if they thought you would buy it. Always take their advice with a grain of salt and seek alternative views on basic reef keeping through this forum or other resources. You will spend a small fortune and buy products you do not need and in some cases should not use if they sense you are new hobbyist.

12. dskyers

Yea I was just looking at a electric.blue hermit crab very nice. I guess I have a ways to go as ill do the cycle properly and take.my time in reading about fish and other animals. Learn about water quality. But how many pounds of live rock and rubble should I put in this 30 gallon tank?