So brand new to this" 30G.. update New pics and corals

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dskyers, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Link is awesome I was reading and had to stop to thank u. And is it alot of stuff? Thanks for letting me know. I've been reading all night seems like I need to go with a fish only with live rock that has been cured. Also live sand and let it run for a week with a shirmp inside test waters after a week of this then can start adding fish? Does that seem right? Going to look up fish more . When I put coral I need protein Skimmer hob style for this 30 gallon tank would one of those cheap ones work for a 30 gallon tank? How loud is it as I put in my bed room after looking at the size I don't mind a low hum as I would love the tank? But that's the future right now I need water and sand should I buy water live sand and like a couple pounds of live rock to start with for a week or so just to cycle it? Can't wait too see it a month from now!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

definately get the tank running asap and throw a shrimp in there, you can learn alot more while waiting for the tank to mature. the next important thing besides reading all that about reefing, is to let us know about what your plans are and asking questions and doing research for every step your gonna take. our feedbacks will keep your from making bad buys

4. dskyers

Well first question is tommarow morning what should I buy water? Live sand? Live rock? Not prepared to buy 40 pounds of live rock in the morning so then how much should I get for the cycle?

5. dskyers

More questions how.many fish can I eventually get.in a 30 gallon tank?

6. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

dont plan on reefing yet, ide start with just buying sand, salt and prime(dechlorinzer), its not really how many fish can you put in a 30g but more like can this fish be happy in a 30g. cuz different fish and organisms occupy different areas within your tank like in the water or on the rocks, on the sand, in the sand.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You have a while to research and get idea of what you want in your tank. There are two sayings that are very appropriate for this hobby.

"Go slow, let thing grow.
    " Nothing good happens fast in this hobby"

It has been my experience that both statement are accurate.

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

How do I start up tank do I go buy some sand put in tank add water and salt.mix it up let it sit and cycle?

10. dskyers

Thanks just went to local reef store and he told me opposed to the shirmp I should get a couple damsels in a few days and let it.cycle with them and that would be better with the live sand and rock

11. dskyers

Tank now with water salt level is 1.017 right bow I need more salt right? Also put 20 pounds of live sand in as well

Attached Files:

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

While the damsel thing is do able it is very highly discouraged. You are using a living organism to start your tank. What chemistry will fluctuate and all of that is stress inducing and can harm the fish. It's like working in an asbestos factory without a mask..... sure it pays the bills but is there a better way to do it?

A uncooked dead shrimp from wal-mart serves the same purpose. Plus you have the added benefit of being cheaper, and you have the rest of the bag to eat yourself or use for fish food once your up and running.

I wont say this is your case but keep in mind a LFS is just that a store. They are there to make money, and sometimes (more often than not) some shops will sell you things you dont really need or wont work with your tank. I my self will not buy something (except for in a jam) from a LFS that recommend damsels or clowns for tank cycling purposes. That is just my personal choice, and I am far from a green peace member, or bunny hugger. I just dont feel its right.

Also another downside to a damsel is they arent always the friendliest of fish, so you add one now & once you finally decide what you want that damsel might not play well with it. Then you have to either remove the damsel, get rid of it, or change your mind.

Yes you need to up your salinity. 1.025 is what you should be shooting for. I know another poster mentioned it but I strongly recommend a refractometer before any other piece of equipment. Those of us new to the hobby (myself included) need all the help we can get and I feel buying that single piece adds a tremendous benefit.

After your initial mix of salt water it is best to get a seperate container to make your water in. Any tuperware or trash can from the hardware store will work.

You dont necessarily need live rock right off the bat, it just helps move things along. Most LFS actually sell live rock, and a piece or 2 would be enough to get you going. The more you buy just helps thnigs along, but I know quite a few people on a budget that dont buy any, it just takes the cycle a little longer.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer is patience, this hobby is all about it. Nothing happens or will grow over night. The plus to this is it gives you plenty of time to read threads, research, google, and research some more. Since starting into this hobby I have used google so much the price of thier stock had to have went up a couple bucks. lol.

Have you given any thought to what you are considering stocking yet?