Snail Eggs

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Jason McKenzie, Jun 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have noticed a great deal of snail egg trails lately, even in the overflow. They start off white and go clear after a few days then they are gone. Are they fertal, do I have snails hatching in the tank or not likely. I see at least three trails per week?

Any thoughts?

J

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

I forget what kind of fish you have (sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be). But, a LOT of fish just LOVE snail eggs. It's like a delcacy for them.

That's one of the reasons it is so hard to breed them in the main tank (you can in the sump sometimes). ;D

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Usually they succumb to pollutants or skimmers. Lunar cycles set them off, and after several days, they hatch. I highly doubt you'll get baby snails, even in your sump of fug. Most snails we like, won't make it thru the larval stage. A

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Thanks guys, Ya they are gone and no sign of any babies.

But boy those snail are laying eggs like crazy.

J

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i actually had stomatella snails that were reproducing like crazy and i was getting smaller ones all over the place. but they have dissapeard so someting has eaten the small ones i do see the big ones at night from time to time but no little ones. maby some of my fish have been cleaning up on the babies?

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, but you don't see the stomatella eggs, he's seeing eggs from largers snails, which aren't gonna do it in our tanks. There are a few different snails that can do it, stomatella being one, I have a few others, just don't know their names right now.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've seen fish work them over and fish. I've lost them all in two of my tanks, thank good I've got 2K gallons at work they can roam in without prey, mostly.