Unresolved Snail eggs?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Nubcake, Aug 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nubcake

Nubcake Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344574271.935266.jpg

Picture was taken with my IPhone, focusing through a 10x loupe. I have 6 of these egg sac looking things about 1" off my sand bed on the glass.

Current livestock are
    1 emerald crab
    2 blue leg hermits
    1 scarlet hermit
    1 Philippine hermit
    3 cerith snail
    2 margarita snail
    1 nassarius snail

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yes that is indeed snail eggs. If its under water give it a few days and you'll have babes.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Snail eggs not sure which of your snails left them. They do not look like Cerith eggs though.

5. Nubcake

Thank you for the id. After some research they appear to be from the nassarius. Of the 6 I've found two appear to have hatched out. The larval form of this snail are free swimming w/ no shell. They feed on phytoplankton. Not sure my water volume will be optimal to produce enough food for the larvae to survive. I have noticed the tiniest of alge specks on my glass as well as caught glimpse of waterborne green specs on the low flow zones of my aquarium. Not enough to tint the water as far as I can see. Time will tell if i can manage to raise any of them. My hopes are to be able to get a breeding population once I get my low flow fuge operational.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Nassarius don't eat algae, so that's not what they're eating. They feed on detritus, carrion, and uneaten food. As for the larval stage, I can't say that I know for sure what they eat...phyto make sense tho.

7. Nubcake

Thank you for the input, I was aware of nassa being detrivores. Took a little digging on breeders websites to find husbandry on the larvae.