Snail eggs hatched, my tank is infested

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Greg9MM, Mar 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I noticed snail eggs on a few spots on the glass about 2 weeks ago. Then about a week ago I notice some small snails on the sides and back of the glass (maybe 20). I just came home from work and the light was off and I saw hundreds on the glass. I put the light on and the rocks were covered. There are literally thousands, they are EVERYWHERE. Average size is about the size of a BB. I am going to try to take some pictures.

I believe they are zebra astrea snails. I know I will have to get rid of almost all of them when they get bigger but does anyone think I will have any problems in the meantime?

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Well this is interesting. I have never heard of this happening in saltwater, but I'm still kind of new at this as well. I don't know why you would have any issues in the mean time. Do you have any pics?

4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I have had a saltwater tank for close to ten years and have had snail eggs on several occasions but never had them hatch or anywhere near this many.

And right now I have no pictures but tomorrow I will take a few and post them.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

+1
    If not, congrats! LOL

Just like anything in the tank, any population of critters will self-adjust according to available food sources. If there's not enough food for them, you won't end up with thousands of giant snails.

7. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I am pretty confident now that they are in fact collonista snails. Especially since I didnt see them until I looked last night after the lights were off for a while. Some look different and I have about 6 or 8 different species of snail in the tank so I guess only time will tell if there are any other kinds. I am going to take pictures tonight when I come home and I i will post them. I just cant get of the sheer number of them. I have about 150lbs of live rock and egg crate under so they have more than enough space to hide but its still crazy. lol

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I hate spam. I might just start making posts to talk about how horrible that site is. I'll fix em. lol

1 person likes this.
  11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

You know, I don't know a single board of any hobby/kind that allows spam posts. I'll never understand how people think it's ok.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

wow, that was quick. lol.