Smitty's 40 Gallon Breeder - I miss this tank :(

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by sticksmith23, Aug 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. msr224

msr224 Plankton

Tank is looking good so far. I have always liked the red shrooms.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I'm back from my 10 day Field exercise and can focus on my tank once again. My wife did a great job taking care of it. The only problem I had was my emerald crab fell down into a piece of my pvc piping holding my rock work and got stuck. Unfortunately he did die, but my wife did what she could to save him once she realized what was going on. But, because of this, my red mushrooms slightly got moved and are looking better then ever. I still hate to lose anything fish or inverts though. It is a let down.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Finally had a chance to check on my params!

Phosphates: 2 ppm
    Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: o ppm
    PH: 8.4
    SG: 1.024

My phosphates are going down, so that is good. I'm still having a problem with cyano though. Not really sure what to do about it. Would a protein skimmer really help that much with this problem?

5. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

Since your tank is still cycling I would just buy Red Sea cyno bac killer. Stuff works well. Also its reef safe but some including myself found out it wasn't so reef safe.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok, I got caught up in an impulse buy tonight. I know better, but I saw a scooter blenny tonight at Petco for $7.99 and really like the coloring of it. I've had one before and really enjoyed it. I will post some pics later when I get the chance to take some.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I bought the filter feeder food from reefcleaners and when I us a small turkey baster to feed my corals, my yellow tail damsels eat right from it. It is really cool. I'm hoping that my scooter blenny will eat the same way eventually.

On a side note, should I get some frozen food for my scooter blenny? I will get some more pods when I get the money for them.

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

How is the cyano doing? I had small cyano creep in my tank. It was not my case but they tend to grow/creep where the flow is lower than other place. They need phosphate to survive and they dont need much, I was told. I started to run BioPellets and within around 15 days, they dissipated. And the whole time, the phosphate was NOT detectable with the API liquid test kit.

Just keep an eye on the params. Other than the CUC, what fish/corals do you have at the moment? I wouldnt add any more animals until the params improve. (I had never had fish or corals if I detected any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. )

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have some zoas, Xenia, palys, green rhodactis mushrooms and some red mushrooms.

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I manually removed some of the cyano from some rock about two nights ago and it hasn't returned. Now the only areas where I am having problems is where my flow is the lowest.

I plan on starting some biopellets as soon as money permits.

12. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

Your tank is coming along well!

1 person likes this.