Smitty's 40 Gallon Breeder - I miss this tank :(

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by sticksmith23, Aug 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've been talking about this for awhile now. I'm actually going to start setting up my 40 gallon breeder tonight that I bought during the $1 gallon sell at petco last month. I have the stand all stained and it is almost done drying. I'm also rinsing my Quickcrete (spelling) in a 5 gallon bucket. It is a 50 pound bag, but I am thinking of only using enough to fill up the bottom of the black trim and using the sand in my 16 gallon right now to put on top of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come! ;D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

NICE! You're going to love the 40B.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

A couple of quick questions:

Since I'm going to be using the sand that is in my existing set up to go on top of the play sand I bought; What is the best way to transfer it over. I will have to be one of the last things to come over I know.

I also have to move over a lot of snails, is there a really good way to do this?

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've been following your thread, your tank looks really good.

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

When I moved from the 29g to the 40B I just took all the rock out and kept it in buckets of old water. Put new sand in the tank, then put the old sand in. I just used an old plastic cup to transfer everything. If you have nassarius snails just drop some food in there and pick them out. Nerites are easy to get too. For the ceriths, I just scooped them up in the cup. I do have a thin 1-1.5" sandbed though so they could dig out if they got buried. You'll end up having to order more cuc anyway as you are more than doubling your tank size.

1 person likes this.
  7. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Thanks, can't wait to see yours get up and going.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

[​IMG]

My goodness, this sand is really dirty. I'm so glad that I'm rinsing it. I have stirred about 4 times now after the water has ran clear.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

So I saw where chappy85 had to drain his tank after filling it on his diy stand. I'm so glad I noticed this as I was getting ready to bring my stand inside. I had filled the tank on the other stand I built, but not this one and almost forgot to do so. I have now filled the tank on the new stand and there were no issues at all thank goodness.

I think my sand is as good as it is going to get, so I'm getting ready to drain my tank and bring it and the sand inside and put the rinsed sand in it. Then I'm going to put about 10 gallons of RO/DI water in it that I have already. Then I will have to finish transferring everything else tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I will continue to post pics along the way!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  11. mikeattack

mikeattack Astrea Snail

Is the play sand silica based?

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid