Smallest Tang Species

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Elric61, Feb 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Between the 2 smallest tangs, I would say a tomini over a kole tang. Koles can be very nasty.

That said, while these 2 tangs are the smallest, they also require a more mature tank to house them. I would not try to house any ctenochaetus tang in a tank that is less than 6 months old. Bristletooth tangs don't do well in super clean tanks, so the newly set up tank is a not a good idea.

How long has the 55g been running?

And yes, a sailfin will get too big for a 55g, and should not be in one. I had my sailfin in my 90g, and while it was doing well, it is much happier in my 200g tank.

2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Yup, agreed....no regrets!

4. Elric61

Elric61 Astrea Snail

I have had a mandrin in the past in a 30 gallon With a copod farm there is no problem. Also I have 110 lb of rock in the top tank and a refug in the sump to help with the breeding of copods, So with this much room a mandrin should be no problem if I was successfull in a 30 gallon. As for the tang I guess with turning room I dont have that much for even the smaller tang, Any suggestions on other fish that will not grass on copods, (I dont want compition for the mandrin) that are reef safe (I heard Wrasses are not reef safe), I do plan on getting ride of the Royal Gama seems not to like clowns.

Thanks for all off you information so far, I was getting mixed signals at the lfs on a tang and just wanted to know what the smallest speices was for research.