Small White Thing on Angel

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by rogersjw, Sep 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

I have no idea what it is... I've been trying to get a picture but he won't give me a good shot. It's not a white patch on the skin but it is like attached along with a very small black thing to his left gill. It's clearly annoying him as he is trying to gently rub the gill against my rio pump. He was fine last night with no signs of agitation... any ideas?

Maybe something is stuck to the gill? Don't know if its a parasite or what... no signs of anything else on any other fish and nothing else on his body. And other than the gill rubbing on the pump, he behaves normally.

Thanks for any assistance, I'll do my best to get a photo but didnt want to wait to post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

how large is it?
    try googling ich and flukes and see if its either one of those

4. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

don't think it's ich... its not really on its skin? - kinda looks attached to that black thing. Lights are out for the night and the angel is in his cave. Sorry I'm not more help. I'll look at flukes.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like a parasite. Try a magnifying glass. If it is a parasite a fresh water dip may cause it to dislodge.

If you decide to dip the fish, do research it. The water needs to be same temp as the tank and pH as well. It is not as easy as it sounds, but can be effective if done right. Just google it and you will get tons of hits.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

6. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, it could be flukes... I haven't seen a pic yet but the description sounds plausible. The recommended treatment is a 10-30 minute bath with 10ml of potassium permangenate per liter of water... Anyone actually done this? Or treated flukes?

I leave on thursday night until sunday evening so tomorrow night is my only chance to nip it in the bud. I am currently filling my 5 gallon to quarantine him but he's a big fish to be housed in there for more than a day or two... its a full size dwarf angel (4 in) He won't be happy in it.

Never had to sick bay a fish... I usually watch them at the LFS for a while before i buy them and they keep them in quarantine.

7. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

OK, when i Left on thursday the angel looked fine... returned today and his left fin is severely jagged, the small black/white thing is back on his right gill, and his right eye is clouded.

Ideas? Please help asap! No other fish seem to have any difficulty and he is still eating. I have some stuff from Chem-Marin called STOP Parasites that my buddy gave me. Anyone use it? Should I QT or try to treat in tank? I don't want all of the other fish to die!

Parameters are good. 0 Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite. Ph 8.4. SG 1.025

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yuck, sorry you are having this problem. I think it sounds like flukes, as they tend to attach to the gill. If let untreated it will kill the fish. I found this information:

Fluke treatment is carried out using potassium permanganate. You can either bathe the sick fish in a potassium permanganate solution (10mg per litre water) for about 20-30 minutes or treat the entire holding tank. Treating the entire tank will help make sure that you kill all flukes and help you avoid a new fluke problem, but it will be a little messy as potassium permanganate will color the water in the aquarium. Despite this I recommend the later option as it is safer and doesn't involving catching the sick fish and subjecting it to extra stress, and because it helps make sure that all flukes are eradicated.

10. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

Ideas as to how often and how long I let it go? And will the carbon suck the color out eventually when I put it back in?

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I also read this works really well but you need to treat for a week, take a week off, and then treat again for a week. Any eggs in the tank should hatch within 21 days, which is why you need to repeat a few times.

Hikari PraziPro Parasite Treatment 4 oz - Fish.com

You should turn off the skimmer and remove any carbon filtration during treatment.

Maybe a LFS or Petco, Petsmart, etc. would have this.

12. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

You could treat with melafix, that will at least help with the clouded eye.