Unresolved Small snails? and white stuff growing on rocks

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Pelado, Jul 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

1.5 - 2 inches long, .5 inch tall. The shell stays that small sort of "buckler shield" size.

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Spend that $500 on an AC UNIT!!

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

What to do about the sponges though? I read up on the snails and am not worried, just not sure about the sponges....

5. blackraven1425

I don't think they're a problem. They're likely just grabbing up excess nutrients. I'm not 100% sure though.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

sponges are filter feeders. if they're exploding there is an excess of nutrients.

You can either reduce your nutrients or be thankful they are there to soak them up for you.

I've got a ton of sponge (several threads on it too when I was worried it'd overtake my tank). I eventually realized they will explode, die back, rebound, and eventually stabilize based on nutrient availability...

My assumption is this is true for most sponges... but I don't know it for fact.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i don't think they are a problem. i would leave them alone.

8. Click Here!

9. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Thanks to ya' all for your responses... I don't want to get an AC unit which would cost me the same because I will most likely move the mainland Spain ... Miami Platja near Terragona... so installing an AC unit here would not really make sense. I won't have AC in the house and that's why I'd rather get the chiller.
    However, I am soooo frustrated with my lfs.. ordered moonlights almost a year ago and still don't have them. In addition, I lost most fist and some corals and am a bit concerned about shipping them. He said it would only take about 10 hours, so I guess that's not too bad. And once I live on the mainland and only about 70 miles west of Barcelona, I am hopeful that I will find a local lfs that has more of a selection and more experience!
    This guy is just a nightmare but the only one on the island!
    Again, thanks so much for your responses!!!

10. blackraven1425

Wow, seriously, a YEAR to get moonlights? That's just absurd!

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Wow, it's so hot that your snail traded in his house for a convertible. lol... Just kidding buddy.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

A year for moonlights!?!?! I was in Linhares, Portugal in May, I just could of dropped them off lol... ;D You can't just order them?