Small Frequent Water Changes

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Steve34, Dec 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Is there any reason why several small water changes per week would cause any harm to a tank?

I'm keeping a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and airstone full of mixed saltwater and every night or two I'm taking out a few quarts and swapping then adding new RO/DI water to my salt bucket and re-mixing so there is always 5 gallons of clean saltwater.

Certainly not against water changes a few times per month in larger scale but it seems that if you're moving the same or more water more frequently that there is less rise & fall of potentially bad perimeters.

Am I off base?

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I dont think so but I'd just do water changes like once a week; much simpler IMO

4. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Unfortunately I have a extremely hectic work schedule so my "planned" days very rarely ever happen so I figure there is less chance of a big change being missed if I do them continually over time.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

More water changes means more fluctations in parameters. This would not make corals happy. I would do larger changes less often.

6. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

damn I had not thought of that. I was thinking more clean water = healthier environment.

Well I guess the ever ready bucket will still be handy in that event.

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Smaller changes would mean smaller fluctuations (if any at all) causing less stress. Sounds right to me.

8. Click Here!

9. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Well, as long as they are small, like maybe 5% at the most. I did that for a couple of days this summer while i had some time on my hands and the tank had never look so clear! Had nothing wrong with it.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I believe it depends to a degree as to the purpose of your water changing

as a method of lowering nutrients, it would not be very effective as the levels would not reduce significantly only changing that amount

but as a method of ensuring that water of good quality is always being replenished with minor and trace elements, then I believe it is a good system

Steve

11. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

I've been doing 2 buckets a week...seems to work for me....
    from my understanding If you do the smaller amounts and weekly water change routine,this won't spike your tank it will give your tank the nutrients from the new water you are putting in...
    If this is done at a normal routine your tank will show you wonders and growth comparing to half 50% every three week change!
    keep in mind your tank runs for 3 weeks and you swap out 3 week old water for a brand new 50% change...this can cause wierd effects and even cause a cycle process...
    common sense it's like us humans we have a routine but say every season changes from winter to summer we feel a little under the table...