sludge in pipeline with carbon dosing

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by claudacate, Jul 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. claudacate

claudacate Plankton

I started carbon dosing about 18 months ago and had a tank crash and restarted. I thought I had things figured out, and it's now obvious I have not. I stopped carbon dosing two months ago due to heavy thick biofilm and constant bacteria blooms. Two months passed by and I am rewarded with dying yellow biofilm coming from the pipeline everytime I turn the pump on. I took two pictures. One showing a day worth of biofilm sludge collected, and one shows a piece of biofilm lying at the bottom of the tank. Here is a link to youtube showing the sludge coming out from pipeline after the pump is turn back on.
    pipeline sludge in reef aquarium - YouTube
    The sludge piece is getting smaller, I am hoping there is an end to this nightmare. Can any one shed some light on what I did wrong? I dropped 3 to 4 drops of zeostart3 into a 340Liter tank every day for 3 months and this is what I got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just remove one section of pipeline and inside is crammed with the sludge I described. I think the bacteria sludge is now in self propagating mode. I am thinking antibiotics. Would that be a right course of action? or should I wait for the bacteria to die down. Would waste-away be my solution?
    Thanks