SkyFire's Bow Front Canopy Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SkyFire, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thank you

Thanks.

Yup yup :trampolin

Thanks.....hehehe might need the shop full of power tools too.:grin3:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. power11

power11 Plankton

Installing the trim

Was wondering how you plan to bend the trim on the front?

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

not quite sure yet...one way is to soak it and add weights to the ends to get it to bend...then when it bends a bit add a bit more weight....need to over bend it a bit.

It is one way to do it...my dad is more experienced if he finds a different way then may do that....I think I can also shave the back of the molding down a bit so it isn't so thick then it may bend better and easier.

Will see.

5. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

How are you going to account for the ventilation for the light fixture? You dont want it to heat up and catch the beautiful canopy on fire! BTW would your dad build me one? I will pay him

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

As you can see the whole back lower portion (5") is open and I'm using T5 & LED Lighting so no worries about overheating....if there was an issue I think ventilation drilled holes in the sides or top (probably top where it's less seen besides heat rises anyway)
    with 2 CPU fans could be employed (one bringing in air the other pushing it out or probably better both out since the inflow can be from the open area in the lower back). Or a cheapy Wal Mart clip on fan in there might work just as well.

I think I stated earlier I'll be using window screening in the back open areas so fishies can't jump out. I'm gonna attach it top & bottom with magnetic sheets cut into strips...or just buy the strip pre-cut (which I think is more expensive than DIY strips).

I can ask...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

Looking good! Are you planning to build a matching stand? ;D

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yup sure am...the color of the canopy isn't gonna match it for now, I hate the generic color of the stand. My new stand will also have space for a sump!

I did however have the idea to use a 5 gallon bucket, in the small area under the tank, as a sump ;D for now.

I just have to convince my dad that my plans will hold the tank :-/...sheesh is only MDF right now as are many other peoples stands::). He's hard headed and doesn't really think in 3D like me and over-engineers worse than I do...LOL. But the things he makes last so....

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

My tank build thread didn't make your computer spazz out? if not, that's shocking!

Great canopy build! probably the best bowfront DIY canopy I have ever seen, and I have been in the aquarium hobby for about 30 years!

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Nope didn't make it spazz out, well not too much, just took a while for the page to load if there were a lot of pics.

Thank you very much. It was tough working with my dad on it but the results are worth it.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Got Color on the Canopy's exterior....Yay!
    Had to do the trim a bit different than planned but I like it. May still add a bit of darker color to the trim that will fade into the body of the canopy about an inch or so beyond the actual trim (is called "flare" when making an electric guitar, which is what the wood shop class that he teaches is doing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.