SkyFire's Bow Front Canopy Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SkyFire, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thank you.
    Jwin said that he thought of yours as a prototype and that he'd design it better next time....so figured I'd show what we did so it'd help you or someone else.

P.S.
    My dad turned the lamp in the 1st picture of my tank, and has also built many pieces of furniture including my entertainment center ,which is 6' tall by 5'wide, and is now almost 20 yrs old and has been through countless moves as well as being stored in less than ideal conditions (which is bad for furniture).

There will be more pictures coming as I continue with the project. This is what is done so far.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Very nice! :) The main "flaws" with my canopy were caused by not having proper tools to do things how I wanted to do them exactly, and by the time limit, because it was for the video contest, so along with building it and getting tons of video, I had to edit and put a movie together.

Your canopy is very very nice. It's coming along very well. I like the curved framing for the 1/8 ply. That's also something to do, but I didn't have the proper tools to cut or bend wood to look like that. I'm jealous :) Welcome to the bowfront canopy club :D

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Wow! Thats one amazing canopy! I cant wait to see the tank set up and running with that on there. It will look absolutely amazing.

BTW! I've never had a post besides Kacys make my computer spazz out form all the pictures! You get some major +K for that one! :lol:

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What!!

Wonderful canpoy! That's going to be amazing - I can tell! Can't wait to see the finished product!

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

i always appreciate great craftsmanship. he has done a fabulous job , and love the workshop area too. once al lthe lipstick and mascara is applied , its gonna look mahvelous. :)

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Very nice! Congrats on the cannopy wish I could do one myself

8. Click Here!

9. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Is that for a 72? I built a very simple version of that....somewhat like jwins design, it actually inspired me. I have some build pics but no documenting pics. Turned out nice and has held up for 8 months now.

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Wow I'm happy my design has inspired so many other canopies :) And i'm really wondering why some major company hasn't thought of that design for their canopies...quick we need a 3reef patent for our designs! Or we could sell the rights to our designs to some tank manufacturers and 50% of that money can go to 3reef and we can split the rest between us :lol:

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yeah you did have a bit of limitations there....and the curved pieces are cut from solid wood not bent...just so you know.

Thanks ....and ;D happy to be part of the club.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid