Skimmer, Sump, Pump Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I don't have a lot of experience with inline pumps, but I've had almost every submersible over the years. For externals, I've only owned the Iwaki, and before that the Little Giant. The LG was OK, but it was pretty noisy, and was so hot to the touch that you couldn't rest a finger on it. That was normal. The Iwaki is cool to the touch, which surprised the heck out of me. I expected it to be at least, warm, but it isn't. It's also very much quieter. It's pricey, but you really do get what you pay for. I would recommend the Iwaki strongly. It's very quiet, and even though it moves more water than the Giant, it uses less amperage.

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

thanks for the information! iwaki it is... so far the reviews on the others match your statement of HEAT!

4. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

So your new sump has been running almost 3 weeks now, right? You have completely changed your filtration by adding the filter sock and the new skimmer, what have you noticed so far. I have changed the sump on my tank a total of 3 times from "wet/dry" to "berlin sump" to "skimmer and 'fuge", and seen unique advantages and changes in my system each time. I'm a curious to hear what you have to say in your extremely eloquent and descriptive posts. Thanks for all you've added to my experience and enjoyment in this hobby.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i love the filter sock acrylic holder. i emailed eco about it because i cant find it as a 'spare part' to their sumps anywhere for sale online. i see its included in their $800 sump.

6. ReefSparky

Sorry I missed this post, Carpenter. So far I've noticed that my xenia has drastically changed form. What was once plump, stout and almost reddish, pumping full time--has become a bit paler in color, the stalks have thinned, and the pumping ends are almost absent. If their there, you almost can't see them. It's become sort of stringy, and limp. However, it's very much alive. I attribute this change in appearance to a drastic improvement in water quality. Xenia appreciate somewhat dirtier water.

My bubble coral, the coral I've had the very longest--has somewhat sprung back to life. It appeared to have been merely hanging on for months. Now the bubbles are getting larger again, and it's improved a bit in color.

Other than that, for the first time I have a few SPS corals, and the polyp extension has been phenomenal! I'm most happy about this aspect. It's been a few weeks now and all looks great. I also have a clam that looks very content and opens so wide, he appears to be yawning! I also have a green birdsnest coral that I can see growing daily. I've never been able to say this before, and I'm stoked about that. :)

I'm certain it's the skimmer that's made the most difference. With only three fish (just bought the third 3 days ago), I never knew there was such an endless supply of gunk ready to be skimmed out. In the past, I always associated the the lack of skimming with the false notion that the skimmer was "keeping up" with the tank. I thought it was simply getting the garbage out as it was produced. With this new skimmer, I'm finding that the skimmate is endless, always thick, almost black and opaque. The old skimmer was simply insufficient.

7. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

Do you have any updates on this setup? Most certainly in 5 months time something worth mentioning has happened.

BTW, I took your advice and ordered a 2x250 HQI MH with 2x54 watt T5HO Retro Kit from Hellolights.com. Should be here next Tuesday.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Hey Carpenter. :)

I can't seem to keep SPS for whatever reason. Otherwise all corals are very healthy and fish are in great shape. Birdsnest and the two milli's died within a month.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

How's the water flow in the SPS direction? They need pretty hard and changing current for them to thrive.

11. ReefSparky

I'm not 100% on if it was a flow issue, but during the time they were on the decline, I discovered my Korallia 4's impeller had become defective. The propeller helix separated from the shaft, and it was spinning, but creating no flow. By the time I replaced it, they had died.

Honestly, I don't know if that was it, though. I had a functional MP40, and a K2, and K3 that were working during that time.

1 person likes this.
  12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

hrmm that just clued me into what my problem might be. i noticed yesterday my flow output from one of my koralias was visually reduced during feeding time.... ill have to take it apart and see if that seperated.