Skimmer pump died?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Billme, Aug 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It's visible how much more yellow the water is today. Can you run carbon in an overflow? I just changed out the phosguard that's in there but I'm sure I need more... something. Can I run phosguard and gfo in an overflow? Or phosguard and carbon? I want to get a reactor for the new tank anyway, but there isn't room in my sump on my 40b. Is there a reactor that goes outside of the sump (external I guess)? Can you run a mix of carbon and gfo in a reactor? A lot of questions I know. These are things I'd like to know before I going on the 120. Thanks in advance.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Any reactor can sit outside the sump, just ensure that the plumbing doesn't leak. ;)

Yes, if you have media bags, carbon (and/or GFO) can be placed in the overflow or high-flow area of the sump. It's not recommended to run them together in one reactor, however; the GFO needs to tumble to prevent clumping, but the carbon will get ground into dust if tumbled and carbon dust has been linked to HLLE.

Billme and DSC reef like this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

So, a carbon reactor is a different animal? It doesn't tumble? I also read that extruded carbon is less likely to cause HLLE?