Urgent Skimmer is dead and I have no spare ... How long do I have ???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LoJack, Jul 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I had a Tunze DOC 9210 and the pump on it burnt out tonight! how long will my tank be okay without a skimmer while I find a replacement?

I live 500 miles from the closest LFS, so I am stuck waiting for an item to ship to me.

Any suggestions on an upgrade from the skimmer that I had?

Please help!

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

was this your primary source for oxygenation? if so, id get an airstone going.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You have as long as it takes for you to get a new skimmer, assuming you have no livestock that's ultrasensitive to nitrates and you have adaquate surface agitation.

You might get some algae or other stuff growing to consume the nitrates you'll have in the tank, though. It's not a problem if you have a decently sized fuge.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

hows your stocking? do you have a overflow?

based on that information it could be any where from 1 minute to billions of years.

6. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

get on jlaquatics.com and get one ordered asap. if you have a maxijet, ad the venturi piece and get that water oxygenated untill then

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

The tank is 92 Gallons, the Sump is 30. Overflow with 15 gallon fuge. Yes its the primary source of oxygenation.

Tank is lightly stocked with fish, medium stocked with corals

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I wouldn't worry about oxygen as long as that overflow removes the protein film on the water's surface.

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

why jlaquatics specifically?

With an overflow in place and a sump you should be getting decent gas exchange. If you have a spare airstone and airpump it cant hurt. Otherwise like benbabcock said, use a venturi on a powerhead.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Eh, I dunno. Silly Canadiens, I guess.

12. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I would assume its because I live in Canada ... and thats pretty much all we have lol. Thats actually where I got the skimmer from originally.

I guess I'll order another 9210 before I go to bed. I'd like to get something different, seeing as this one only lasted 18 months ... but everything comparable seems even more expensive ... and the skimmer compartment of my sump was designed around this skimmer specifically.