skimmate color??

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by longballz84, Oct 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1 on that. I have actually, honestly, vomited twice cleaning out my skimmer

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

That's yucky dude. Did something like, "Hey Tiff!!!! Come over and smell this!!!" come out of your mouth right afterwards?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

This is my skimmate cup with a flashlight directly behind it. As you can see it is very dark and light doesn't go through it.

[​IMG]

5. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Mine is dark green, but you can still see thru it... It's still a new setup tho...

Since my wife had kids, she has "no smelling ability" ... Thus, she will be cleaning out the collection! lol

-fritts

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

My almost a year old reef tank produces coffee colored thick black smelly stuff and my new fowlr tank with one fish produces a thin green color. I do have some algae but its not THAt bad, maybe it will eventually darken?

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

When my 150 crashed, my skimmate was like an aqua-blue/green color.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

LMAO. No, she wasn't home. I do all my tank work on saturday's when she is at work and I have the house to myself. Seriuosly though, theres something about skimmate that gets me everytime. I gag viscously every time I empty the cup :-X

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I cover my nose with my shirt when I clean the skimmate cup. That ish stinks! I was at my LFS when they were cleaning their tower and you could smell it when you walk in the door and the skimmer is about 40 feet away from the door!!!

11. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

mine is definitly not that dark...to say the least...should mine look like that?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You want it to be as dark as possible. If its too light, that means you are taking in water in the cup as well as the gunk (called wet skimming). You can adjust your skimmer to correct the problem. How you do this depends on the skimmer. With most, you can either lower the water level a little under the cup, or even raise the cup itself.