Skim a 4 gallon?!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by tturbolife1, Feb 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tturbolife1

tturbolife1 Flamingo Tongue

So ive had skimmers on my 55 gallon, 20 gallon and even my 12g nano cube and i felt the quality was the same with out the skimmer to be honest. So a few years ago i met a man that owned a LFS and he claims that the only thing you should have is a skimmer , he said you dont even need a filter if you have a skimmer. For a while i pondered it but never decided to try it. Last week i went to pick up some snails and i got the chance to talk to him. I explained my set up and he was stunned that i wasnt running a skimmer on my 4 gallon. Not a big surprise. i have my old skimmer from my nanocube but is it really worth to skim the tank? Its so small :confused::confused:I feel like this man was so persuasive and now im second guessing my set up.

BTW my set up : HOB Aquaclear150 with live sand and stuffing
    Zoomeds canister filter w/carbon,ceramics and foam.
    I do have the skimmer attachment for the aquaclear but i dont really use it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

To be quite honest, with a tank that small you should be fine with no skimmer and frequent water changes.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A skimmer rarely ever hinders, a necessity on a pico or a nano no. My last tank had LR as my only form of filtration and I pulled it off.

5. tturbolife1

I figured that but maybe its a personal thing. That guy basically said i was wrong and that i need a skimmer. that last time i started a skimmer on my 12g nanocube the coral didnt like it very much if i remember correctly a few frags shriveled up. i think it was a ricordea

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'll bet he has the perfect skimmer for you, too. ::)

With the proper balance between bioload and maintenance, a skimmer is not an absolute necessity on any system.

JM2C

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

lol Remember hes in business to sell you stuff.You don't need a skimmer or a filter to run a sw tank.

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

One of the LFS locally here has a fairly large cube tank with LR and fuge only. It's about 5'x5' Cube tank. Everything looks fine in there and it's been up and running for years that I remember and I asked if he ever had a skimmer. He said no, as long as you have good flow you don't really need one with a fuge and LR.

10. tturbolife1

Your right.Hes is a business man. I was waiting for the," and here we have the skimmer 37k that will skim the hell out of the atlantic ocean. It can be yours for a small fee of $800,000."LOL
    But i havent had a problem with my current set up so il just keep it as is.

11. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I just met an LFS owner who said my tank was going to fail because I didn't use the quality live rock he sales. I'm not sure if they are flat out lying or they really believe what they are saying.

12. tturbolife1