Siphon VS. Pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Nvizn, Jun 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I hate to say it, but sometimes when you reply to a thread. I feel like Im reading a book. Not a personal response from opinion or experience.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My point:

Would you rather I pull things out of nowhere, let the person figure it out themselves (frequently, this ends badly, as you know), or go do (at least) cursory research into it and come back with a bit of info I found?

I mean, research on the internet is by no means authoritative, especially when dealing with certain sources; but neither is the experience or opinion of one person, as we have the phrase "anecdotal evidence" for a reason.

Also, back to RM:
    "Use ball valves before inlet and after outlet to make pump removal easy and spill free."
    and
    "You can restrict the outlet flow of the water pump with a ball valve in order to achieve the desired flow rate. "
    -F&S Mag Drive page

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah if you leave them wide open genius. Go fetch me up something that says it's ok to restrict them.

5. blackraven1425

Reread, since I added the other thing I meant to copy + paste...

6. blackraven1425

Or, here's a screenshot, 3rd to last bullet:

again.png

At this point, I'm also going to ask you to provide where on that page it shows something along the lines of "restricting the outlet flow will cause wear on the pump" rather than "this pump is designed for low backpressure situations".

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

um....okayyyyyy...you guys sure those shouldn't be pm's? pretty sure this isnt the kinda info the OP was looking for.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Only the couple of posts that are relatively direct personal digs. The debate about pump wear isn't off topic, considering the concern about the return pump and how it should be set up.

10. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

ok, i stand corrected.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Well it seems we all agree that throttling a pump causes more heat build up, which will warm up your water, which is most likely not good depending on how hot it gets. IMO heat also means there's friction or excess energy causing it somewhere in the pump, which seems to me like a cause for a pump to wear out sooner. That's just my opinion, but I'd much rather just buy a smaller pump than throttle back an existing one to fit the overflow. Or just get a larger overflow.

Also, copying and pasting from sources and not posting where they came from is called plagiarism. I would much rather follow the experience and opinions of general people instead of follow the books of experts, because experts just follow and use the knowledge of the crowd (meaning each other). I'll trust the experience of several people over books any day, especially in a hobby like this, where many experts seem to have no idea what they're talking about, where people on a forum like 3reef are the ones with the real knowledge.

12. blackraven1425

I'm deeply offended by that statement. I never copy and paste. I just do research, which when dealing with something like fishkeeping, includes searching on forums as the primary method of finding good information. I realize these forums are as valuable or moreso than the "experts" on a good number of occasions.

However, you neglect to mention that for every real person who knows what they're doing on a forum, there's 10 people willing to subject their fish to the "ich will never go away; it's always present in a tank; even if it's extinct in that ecosystem, it'll spontaneously re-evolve from another organism in the tank" mindset rather than do the logical and responsible thing. There's plenty of people who seem to know best, while they really don't know what they're talking about.

I write like I'm writing a research paper; that's why some people feel like they're reading a book sometimes when I write. It has nothing to do with whose words are used, just my personal style of conveying information.

I'll also point out that the mag drive makers say to use a ball valve on the return line to limit the flow, despite what others claim them to have said. There's a screenshot, or you can go look for yourself. The extra energy is being imparted as heat due to friction of the water's backpressure on the impeller.