Siphon rate off tank very slow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bigdubb, Jun 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The overflow is complete!

Overflow - Imgur

Anyone with some ideas as to how to close the previously drilled hole? Should I just contact my local glass shop, ask for apiece of glass the same diameter and silicone it in?

I was thinking I'd use a bulkhead and just plug it, but that doesn't seem correct to me.

Thanks again everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

You can cap the bulk head. Not sure how the siliconed glass would work... I would not trust it all that much.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I would install a plug in the bulkhead and leave it in place myself. In fact I did just that on my own 100G display when I abandoned my closed loop and plugged the suction hole for the extra pump drilled in the back of the tank.

5. bigdubb

Just an update for anyone that was following this thread. The DT is plumbed and holding water at the moment. I replaced the bulkhead and made a Hofer Gurgle buster overflow. However with this bigger overflow I could not fit in a bulkhead. There was only 3/8" clearance from the overflow to the back of the tank. What I ended up doing was getting two pieces of 3"x4"x1/8" glass. I ran a bead of caulk around the hole on the inside of the tank. I then ran a bead of glue around the edge of the piece of glass. and pressed it tight. I then repeated the process on the other side. It then sat for 2 days. Works like a charm. I think this is a good work around.

I raised my plumbing about 7". This is the most I could raise it because of the stairs that the plumbing was going through. I test the overflow from the DT to a bucket in my sump area and everything drained no problems. It was great to see. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I am also lowering my sump 24". I had to build a new stand. This weekend I hope to move the sump. I am going to be removing the 35# of live rock and draining the tank to a reservoir. I was going to leave the sand in the tank, to try and keep from disturbing my DSB. I hope its okay to move the tank with sand in it. Im assuming it will be fine. I may scoop out my sand, but I don't want to disturb the DSB if at all possible. If anyone has any insight on this I'd appreciate it. Its a 55gal tank with about 60# in a DSB. It wont be moving far, just a few feet.

Once I get my sump placed I can finish the plumbing for the supply to the DT, refill my sump and let the two start working together. I tested my sump and parameters look really good, the DT on the other hand not so good. Looks like its starting the cycle, Im at a huge ammonia spike right now. I think leaving the sand in the tank while I did the plumbing probably killed everything in the sand. So that doesn't surprise me. I did keep the rock in a tub with a heater and pump and the reserved tank water. So hopefully that worked on my behalf.

I'll post another update this weekend with pics after I get everything all working.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

60 lbs is probably not very deep in a 55 so would not have much if any anaerobic bacteria to disturb. A functioning DSB is 5-6" deep so the bacteria can live down deep in the absence of oxygen. Still, if you can protect it in place I would do so just to keep from stirring up dust and fines when it is refilled.
    When refilling you might place trashbags on the sand, then place a large dinner plate or platter on the bags and pour the water directly on the plate so you don't disturb the sand, works pretty well.

7. bigdubb

the 60# is only on part of the sump, the 24" section. I've measured and it is is well over 5" deep. The canister filter is only on as an interim to keep water moving. Once the sump gets moved it will be removed from the system.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Then I would try to leave it wetted and as undisturbed as much as possible.

10. bigdubb

Thanks to everyone for thier help. This weekend I was able to get my sump connected to my DT. Believe it or not the system showed fullyl cycled after about three days. Tonight I added three Chromis, three hermit crabs and three snails. The Chromis went to town on the copepods that seemed to have filled the tank. They were all over the overflow, the back wall as well as the side walls. In only a couple of hours with no biological load on my tank the Vertex Omega 150 is already skimming off stuff. Amazing how well that thing works.

I ordered a larger CUC online for a fraction of what it would have costed at the LFS, along with some Ceato for my fuge. Next week are two more PC4s for lights, and two EcoTech MP10Ws for water movement.