Simple "Top-off" system

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by omard, Mar 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The vase isn't in the sump. Take a look at the pic. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Posted by: omard
    From what Omard wrote, it sounds like the vase is in the sump.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No that's the planting pot with the float switch in it. Look at the pic of the tank, to the right you will see the vase on a stand.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im assuming the flower pot is just to hold the float valve. And that  it will be submerged in the sump.
    If so once the sump level gets below the lip of the pot the float valve will no longer open running the sump dry eventually.Is there holes in the pot so water can drain out

6. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Ok, Matt got it...duh. The water from the vase flows to the pot in the sump w/ the float valve. Is the float valve attached to the pot because it couldn't be attached directly to the pot?

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=GaMmA link=board=DIY;num=1079833407;start=0#14 date=03/22/04 at 09:58:41]Ok, Matt got it...duh.  The water from the vase flows to the pot in the sump w/ the float valve.  Is the float valve attached to the pot because it couldn't be attached directly to the pot?[/quote]

The pot has small holes in the bottom so it will stay the same level as the water in the sump. The float is attached to the flower pot because it is monitoring the water level in the sump. when water level in the sump goes down then this triggers the float valve which sends water from the vase to the flower pot / sump to keep it at a constant level. If attached to the vase it would be feeding it's self and doing nothing for the sump. The valve has to be in the sump area.

Scott cool hope everything goes great. Oh and when you are down in the sun remember to frag me some corals and send them up to me :D

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

so cool I want a sump so bad I can taste it! :p

10. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Good idea, I got one of those sitting around.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Hey Scott you forgot to send me my frags.....

12. martin

martin Plankton

my wife is super happy with my new hobby! I think a 5 gal home depot bucket in the living room would be icing on the cake! :)