simple/quality skimmer for BC29 HQI?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Grant, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

I've had a BC 29 HQI mixed reef for a couple years now since I broke down my larger setup. Up until now, I've managed beautifully without a skimmer, just doing fairly frequent water changes. That seems to have changed when I added a mystery wrasse about 2 months ago. It is pretty obvious to me that I need a skimmer as my bioload is now too much for my chaeto and LR.

I've looked at several reviews and just can't seem to come up with a solution that works for me. I want it to be simple. (that's why i have a BC to begin with). I've been at this hobby for many years, and have made my share of mistakes with cheap crap.

The Tunze 9002 gets great reviews but I have serious questions about whether it will fit. And if it does fit (most suggest #3 compartment, as there is a hqi clamp over #2 which is where i have extra rock and chaeto) i expect water level would be a problem. I am away from home 3-5 days a week and can't add h20 every day. An ATO might help (but simple is the key here).

The Hydor Nano Skim is another idea, but I can't find out where it might fit. Or if it's even worth the trouble.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Suggestions would be appreciated. photo.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Nice tank!!!

Please highly consider "Tunze 9002"

4. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Thanks. Do you have a Tunze 9002 in your setup? If so, how'd you fit it in?

5. Shark

Shark Plankton

setup a sump than you can run any size skimmer plus add an ATO

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I do, fits like a glove. I have it in chamber 2. Make sure to use inTank upgraded 9002 skimmer cup

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356582551.070271.jpg

7. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

Thanks for the pic. My setup has the MH on a clip/arm that fits over chamber #2. I'm afraid that the skimmer wouldn't fit with the MH. Also, how do you keep your water level constant in chamber #2? (or #3 if anyone has any ideas there?) See pics below.

I'm trying hard to avoid the sump and ATO. I simply don't have time to add that level of complexity now. That's why I went to the BC to begin with. Maybe this just isn't possible.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Shark

Shark Plankton

I can appreciate a simply run tank, but once you add a skimmer and other equipment and eventually run out of space / tight fits, its probably more work to maintain than having a sump which is easy access and in my eyes alot simpler than cramming a bunch of equipment into a small area

1 person likes this.