Silversides

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by BMXCLAY, Dec 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

I liv somewhat locally to a beach and I can throw a net out and catch hundreds at a time. Has anyone ever done a silversides tank before? Would I have to treat them? What would I feed them? Could they go in my sump or would they need their own tank? I am only going to do this if I get cuttlefish because they are known to eat frozen silversides but why not give them vitamin enriched live ones..

2. Click Here!

3. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Sounds interesting, only fear would be disease and parasites that could hitchhike so QT well.

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Yea you would kill all your fish with parasites or disease most likely. Bad idea.

6. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

I just know you shouldn't feed silversides to your nems! the frozen ones sometimes kill your anemones from the inside out. But putting fish from the ocean always sounds like a bad idea unless Qt'ed

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yah this would be risky to pull off and to have to QT fish food? Would it be worth it?

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It's absolutely "worth it" if you have preds that won't wean onto frozen food, assuming they're not a Cyprinid (member of the carp family), as are many minnows and shiners. It would help to know the species, and you'd also want to collect them from super clean water.

I can go down to the harbor and net them, but I won't put anything from that nasty harbor water into our tanx.