Silver Dollars

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Another question about silver dollars. Some fish will grow only as large as the tank will allow. Is this true of silver dollars or should I take 2, of my 3, back to my local pet store. Remember I have a 15 gallon aquarium.

Thanks.:)

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

The thing about fish growing to the size of the tank is an old wives tale from tanks that are so poorly maintained that they stunt the growth of the fish. I would therefore assume they won't.

4. rwaterman30

rwaterman30 Plankton

Keep in mind to that Silver Dollars like to swim in small schools. They do get large especially for a 15 gallon. I have 6 of them in my 55 gallon and getting ready to move them into a new 150 gallon I am setting up. Trust me they get of decent size... but an awesome fish to watch in a school.

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

i have kept plenty of freshwater fish and i would definitely say move them to bigger tank. a fifteen gallon is just unfair as the get bigger. they would need room to roam, and taking two of the three back doesnt sound like a good idea because they are social fish in a sense that they school together. so bigger tank is the way to go.

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

the whole theory of a fish only getting as big as their tank is somewhat true and false. It will continue to grow all of its life. Poor water quality, small swimming room, crappy diet will stunt the crap out of any animals growth. Alot of times, the insides/guts continue to grow but the fish does not. It is very sad to see large fish in such small systems. I would take all 3 silver dollars back because it would be cruel and selfish to keep them. They grow very fast and there will be some insane aggression in a tank that small.