Silencing a return pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Tecnomage, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tecnomage

Tecnomage Astrea Snail

I've got a Mag 9 return pump and I've noticed a lot of vibration against the bottom of my sump. Aside from my skimmer it's the noisiest part of my setup. Its been made clear to me that the noise isn't acceptable in the living room, is there anything I can place the pump on to quiet it? I assume egg create is too hard and will just vibrate too. I was going to upgrade to a mag-12 pump which I can only assume will be noisier. :)

So any help? What do you guys do to quiet the return pump?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I run flex tubing off the return for the first 4 feet then it switches to rigid PVC.

The flex piping seems to cut out a lot of vibration and decreases the number of fittings you need.

4. Tecnomage

Tecnomage Astrea Snail

Thanks. Sadly it's already flex tubing :-( I think the vibration is against the bottom of the sump. I was thinking a rubber mat or something. But that would probably collect debris.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

When is the last time you cleaned it? If there's a lot of limestone buildup on the impeller shaft/bushings, it'll get noisy in a hurry.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have my entire sump sitting on a rubber door mat. ( a homedepot purchase) than inside the sump the return pump...a mag 1800 sits on a foam pad. the type you kneel on when you garden. you can get this at most dollar stores.
    i also lined the inside of the stand walls partly with cheap rubber door mats 3.00 each (also from home depot) i used 3 the mat under the sump i bought a thicker one that was i believe 10.00. the door mats absorb the sound well.
    my tank is nice a quiet. its the sound of soft trickling water that you hear.

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

For a quick solution u can lay some fllexable tubing under it.

8. Click Here!

9. Tecnomage

Tecnomage Astrea Snail

Thanks guys. I cleaned the pump about a month ago.

I'll probably put the pump on some tubing tonight for the immediate need and will look into getting a foam mat for a more permanent solution.

10. mulder32

mulder32 Purple Spiny Lobster

This is what I did for my Eheim and it worked great.

11. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

My mag 9 did the exact same thing and I got the exact same response from my wife.I took the flex tubing cut it to 6 inch lengths and zip tied it in place all around it and it works like a charm.If you have some lying around it is a cheap, quick, and permanent fix.