::Sigh:: GHA has me seriously thinking of quitting.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kevin3884, Aug 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Man, you really don't want to listen or take any advise? It looks exactly like this, Bryopsis hypnoides

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

it looks nothing like that...

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

chumslickjon's got my back, lol. I was 100% sure before you posted the pictures. I'm just trying to help you. Take the lfs advice if you like.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Kevin,
    That fact that you have a tank full of tangs that aren't touching this stuff points away from standard GHA. I dont know what you have there, but it may be some strange form of bryopsis. Try the M-tech route since you are fed up and ready to quit.

It does look kinda cool though, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

GHA shouldn't get you thinking of quitting... It should get you thinking of reefcleaners.org ! That and purigen...

Nevermind... Didn't read the whole post. Don't throw away all you've invested. Just try what most of us are insisting upon. It can't hurt anything. :/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Yeh thats kinda what the guy at the LFS said to an extint..but it is GHA...he looked at it under microscope..but he doesnt understand why the tangs arent eating it...maybe its a hybrid of sorts?...

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I wish I had taken better pictures of my bryopsis to convince you. It looked exactly like the photos you posted. It grows more in a clump form, where gha has more of an even covering, and grows much longer than bryopsis. Nothing affected it until mag got to 1,800, then it started to "feather up" as it started to die. Hydrogen peroxide will just about dissolve hair algae on contact. Bryopsis will bubble for a while, and that's about it.

Hair algae is nothing. Everything that you did should have wiped it out, no problem.

I just took this picture, it's about the last of the bryopsis in my tank, and it's nearly dead. It doesn't show the color or the clumping aspect from when it was healthy, but it sure looks like hair algae and not bryopsis.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I actually can see some daily spots of GHA start to grow in my tank, it gets about a dime to quarter size, but then after it gets that big the next morning it's all gone. I have Turbos, Astreas, Emeralds(which I dont like right now since the larger one ate my Duster) and ceriths if it helps choose a CUC to eat the stuff. I have personally seen my Turbo graze on the GHA so I hope it helps.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Why are you here if you know what it is and there is no way to fix it? Seems like there is no point in posting...

You have gotten an answer and a solution. Either try raising your mag to 1800+ and maintaining it or break your tank down... Seems all the solutions to GHA don't work, you don't have a magic tank with invincible algae that no fish will even eat... why not try a new approach? You are being your own worst enemy on this one.

1 person likes this.
  12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Darnit, sorry, I hate when I dont read the last page......

I know that your LFS has a microscope and all, and he says it's def GHA, but you say you've tried "Everything" and nothing is working, if I were in your shoes, I'd at least try Chums advice. He, and everyone else seem to like your tank, and don't want to see you throw it all down the drain. If the LFS isn't coming up with any answers, then why are you asking here in a thread if not to find out what your LFS couldn't answer.......

1 person likes this.