::Sigh:: GHA has me seriously thinking of quitting.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kevin3884, Aug 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

:::Sigh::: It makes me sick just thinking about it..but I am just about ready to throw in the towel because of GHA.....I dont know what to do anymore, and I've put so much money into different ways to solve the problem, with no success...I've been fighting it for over 6 months doing EVERY SINGLE thing that i know to do....none of my fish will graze on it...I've never had any traces of phosphate or nitrate...I dont know that there is anything I havent tried... :cry: I love this hobby so much...but I hate GHA and the way it makes my reef look like crap...and I think I may have had enough..

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Emerald crabs love the stuff, turbo snails, urchins also

No signs of NO3 and PO4 because the GHA is using it up. GFO and a refugium with macro algae including GHA in it can help.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't like emeralds or urchins personally as they can sometimes do damage. However, GHA is the easiest algae to get rid of, as there are plenty of options. Turbo snails are my favorite. Tangs and rabbit fish will also decimate it. If not it is probably bryopsis. Then raising mg may be the best option.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kevin3884

I've been running GFO, and have tons of macro in my fuge...And i have always tested my water (very anal when it comes to that) and I never have had PO4 or NO3...I got GHA while vodka dosing was going on too..

6. Kevin3884

Its definately GHA and my tangs don't touch it...Yellow tang, Hippo Tang, Chevron Tang, Unicorn Tang...none of them...also on my 3rd foxface...and none have really torn into it...I pretty much stopped feeding...and all that did was make me lose a Juvy Orange Shoulder, and my Anthias. I have turbos..and they dont do it either...mostly stay on the glass even when I move them onto a rock...and this is a HUGE tank...so its difficult picking it out

7. Kevin3884

I use RO/DI water, I use good salt, I run GFO, Big fuge with lots of macro, I have fish (even a lawnmower that doesnt bother with it) that should eat it, I have Sally Lightfoots that should eat it, i have turbo snails that should eat it...my lights arent old, I think some of my rock is leaching whatever its feeding on...and I cant remove it because I have corals on every rock in my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

I pluck what I can out as much as I can..but in a 265G tank 30" deep...that is difficult...and even when I pluck it out, it just grows right back...it has me hating my tank...and I'm starting to feel like its more of a waste of money than a hobby..and I hate that feeling :(

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The only thing that actually worked for me was a Sea Hare. This thing mowed it down like a lawn mower. However if it is actually Byropsis the only thing that will work is raising Mag as has been stated.

11. Kevin3884

I know that its GHA I know the difference between the 2...i have been in the hobby a long time....I've gone thru 3 sea hares...none of which ate my algae....

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

What is your Alk and Cal levels? How is your coraline algae? How often do you export algae from your fuge?