Sick Shubunkin

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by shuBUN, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shuBUN

shuBUN Plankton

I have a shubunkin (Princess Sparkle Bottoms) that is very ill. She was in a 125 gallon pond with three other shubunkins. A few weeks ago she started hiding and looked gravid, we figured maybe she was going to lay eggs. After like a week of hiding and not being seen eating she finally came out with a red mark on her nose, figured maybe she scraped it. She disappeared a few more days and reemerged again. I saw her from the side and she looked bruised really badly. My boyfriend and I removed her from the pond and checked the water. While the pH is slightly high 8-8.5, everything else was super low including ammonia. After looking on the internet the best we could assume was she is sick with some kind of bacteria. We went to PetSmart that night and picked up API Erythromycin. She went through a full four day course. Then yesterday we changed her water (when we took pictures) and started her on a second course or treatments. Today I saw a small blood spot in her container and realized she had blood coming from her gill. I do realize at this point the odds of her making in aren't on her side, but if anyone knows what this is an answer would be appreciated. The last photo is from today. A little while ago the tissue cleared from her gill
    PSB2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    PSB4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    PSB2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!DSC02123 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear, wishing you the best of luck.

4. shuBUN

shuBUN Plankton

Thank you both. I have had no luck yet. My boyfriend and I are driving to a big fish store tomorrow for kanamycin, to give that a try. We are going to take pictures of our fish and see if anyone can ID it. If I find out what it is I will post it.