Urgent Sick Lionfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SaltDweeb, Mar 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltDweeb

SaltDweeb Plankton

I have a fuzzy dwarf lionfish and today i noticed that his eyes look all hazed over...does anyone know what this might be....all other inhabitants look fine....but due to tornadoes we had a power outage that lasted for about 5 hours I kept the water aerated so I don't know what is going on with my lion....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can you post parameters please.

Many times cloudy eye is a secondary sign of poor water quality.

If you parameters are out of whack I would do the appropriate water change and consider feeding or adding Melafix.

4. SaltDweeb

SaltDweeb Plankton

That is my other problem....used the last test kit last week and my car is currently not in running condition so no way to go and get another....last week the parameters were all fine...but i do not know if anything has changed since then....what do u suggest

5. SaltDweeb

SaltDweeb Plankton

also i called my LFS and they suggested possibly ammonia poisoning from the power outage....but they were not sure if they had anything to treat this with....does this diagnosis sound plausible and if so what do I treat this with?

6. Corailline

Yes it does.

Do they not have any Prime or Amaquel?

Water change would be the next best thing if you can get some premixed water.

7. SaltDweeb

SaltDweeb Plankton

i will call first thing in the morning and find out if not i will check feeders supply they may carry it....so should i water change tonight and then check for prime or in the morning and do u think the lion fish will be alright until then? Also could this affect my other fish even though they seem fine right now?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Do a water change if you have mixed sw, if not mix some and do one when it's completely mixed.

No petsmart or petco near you?

It may stress the other fish out depending on if you do have an issue with ammonia and or higher nitrates.

Good luck, stay safe.

10. SaltDweeb

SaltDweeb Plankton

no petsmart or petco the closest one is about an hour and a half away and with no car that doesn't seem possible lol....boy my luck is bad here lately haha....i will do a water change tonight and check feeders in the morning and hopefully will find something out i just hope he makes it through the night....thanks for all of your help....i do appreciate it....