Sick Kole Tang, looks like skin is peeling off.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by atcaw94, Jul 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

It's already too late if it's Brooklynella.. Sorry to say that, but I've been down this road before. It's a horrible disease. I saw my two Clowns and my Arc Eye Hawkfish die from it. It literally went from me noticing "something weird" going on in a day to full blown Brooklynella and the fish dying withing three days. I had a QT/Hospital tank set up the first night with Formalin. On a positive note I had other fish in my DT that did not get affected for one reason or another.

2. Click Here!

3. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Yeah,,CBS may be right on this one..
    Brook really is the worst of the worst ..Sorry you have to deal with it.
    It is commonly known as "clown fish disease" because it is mostly affects them..Obviously other fish do get it and pass it .
    Then there are other fish that do seem to be immune to it,but can still be carriers ..

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

how do fish get Brooklynella? What causes it? Can you get Brooklynella in your tank if you havent intro new fish in a while?

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I just lost my whole tank to brook. I feel your pain. I did the formalin dips everyday and i still couldnt save them.

6. atcaw94

atcaw94 Astrea Snail

That's pretty much exactly how it happened. He seemed a little weird one day, to full blown sick and the dead in two days.The other fish were fine, and then "bam" they've disappeared. So far the yellow tang, wrasse, chromi and a 1" long baby clown seem fine. Kind of shocked the baby clown seems fine, and the huge kole tang died.

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

oh no the Kole died? sorry. That sucks

8. Click Here!

9. atcaw94

atcaw94 Astrea Snail

So when you set it up, you use fresh made salt water, or water from your DT? I've got a 10, 20 tall and 40 breeder.I used the ten yesterday for the kole, but figure I'll use the 20 from now on. I've got a canister filter and one of those cheap $20 hang on back filters. The only bad thing about the canister filter is the kole kept getting stuck against the intake pipe until I put up an eggcrate barrier.
    How long do you quarantine new fish, 6 weeks?

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I used water from the DT because I was moving the fish from the DT and didn’t want to stress them more. I also took a filter pad out of DT and tied it to my sponge filter in QT for some bio. You can use any filter just remove the carbon when using meds.
    For this yes 6 weeks. Some might say 8 weeks because now you have to let take fallow. I’ve never had Brook so I don’t know the life cycle.
    Now if you buy a fish new your QT time can go down to 4 weeks if seems healthy and eating. Everyone has different answers on this.
    The idea is to keep in QT long enough for whatever disease it has to come out. Some people use meds in QT for new fish no matter what. I didn’t use any meds this fish I just moved because healthy and eating. I would do research and them do what’s best for you. Everyone here is answering based on their own personal experience which is why some info varies. But the longer the QT the better.
    Also I’m new to QT and all the people answering in this thread are the people that helped me when I lost my fish.
    Good luck

11. atcaw94

atcaw94 Astrea Snail

I did the same thing, used DT water, for the same reason.
    I'm not sure what to do, the med's won't be here for a few days and I don't have a LFS close. In reality, it kind of seems like a lost cause. I'd have to tear my tank apart to get the remaining fish out, which will surely stress them out. Guess I'll just have to watch and see what happens over the next few days.

12. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

You mentioned you have a chromis. I wouldn't be surprised if he never shows a sign ( but still treat) and will be fine. After doing more reading on this than I care to remember after I had it, it seemed many chromis survived. On the other hand, I will be shocked if you baby clown survives all this. You will now be a forever hobbiest who QT' s. People who don't never had Brooke. YET.