Sick Blue Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ibjellyfish, Aug 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

One of my blue tangs isn't going so well. He was recently moved, and I know that was a lot of stress for him. We took out most of the rock and put it in a separate tank to transfer. After removing all the rock, I noticed one of the tangs were gone. He was stuck in some rock when we transfered it and he could have easily been injured. The tank has been re-set up for about 3 days now and he isn't getting much better. Both of the tangs are less than a year old.

75 gallon tank
    2 blue tangs
    1 angel fish
    1 blennie
    1 clownfish
    2 anemones
    3 damsels

Salinity - 1.024
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 40
    PH - 7.8
    Calcium - 380
    KH - 7
    Phosphate - 0

Right now he is eating brine shrimp once a day. He looks veryyy skinny and I believe there are a couple small dots of white on his dorsal fin. He seems to be eating, not as vigorously as my other tang though. He also seems so only eat half the food he puts in his mouth, spitting out the other half. He seems pale in color.

My other blue tang is doing wonderful, he is fat and very vibrant in color.

This is the best picture I could get of him.
    I also added a picture so you can see what I mean about the color. The sick one is obviously the one that looks diluted.

Ick?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

I am betting the move injured him, I cant say for sure. He might have gotten beaten up or gone without oxygen... I doubt it is ich if you havent seen any. you might try a quarantine and feed him slowly throughout the day.(no more than usual) Also, IMPORTANT: If you arent already soaking the food in Vitality- Start. I have seen many many miraculous recoveries by supplementing Vitality.

4. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

I am not, where can I find that? I don't have a quarantine set up right now because I just moved. I feel like if I set one up right now it would just go through a cycle and it would be no better than having the tang in my display. Other than the risk of my other fish getting sick, if its contagious.

5. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wouldn't move the fish to a QT if the other fish are not picking on him, especially if you don't have an established QT. He probably just got squeezed, if he's got ich it's too late to prevent your other fish from catching it...it's in the water, so I wouldn't be concerned about that at this point. Just keep your water parms up and feed them (don't over feed). Try some nori on a clip if you haven't already.

1 person likes this.
  6. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

This morning I found him laying on the ground, still capable of moving, but not doing so. I put a net in the water near him, and he just swam away a couple inches. At this point I'm not exactly sure what I need to do. I'm going to continue with the feeding and hope he gets interested in the food. He has developed one white spot below his belly. All other fish seem to be doing great, and no one is picking on him.

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Because of the way it looks, Id put my money on Not the Correct diet, However your other is looking great... So money down now on internal parasites. :(

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

That thing looks emaciated, you should probably feed it or get it eating as a top priority. Don't move it too much though or it may expire. I'd say that fish has slim chances, just warning you...

10. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

I'm not sure how to force feed a fish. It is just not interested. I'm feeding, and everyone else is eating, and food is going past him, it just doesn't phase him. He decided to hang out next to the anemone, so now I'm worried he will be eaten instead of just dying.