sick anemone (picture)

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by lbscoob20, Feb 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lbscoob20

lbscoob20 Plankton

Kinda what i was thinking.....the only quarantine tank I have certainly doesn't have enough light for an anemone so i'm guessing it's not worth trying to move it for a recovery. Should I just bag it now?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if it were me I would becasue you don't want a half dead anemone floating around and stinging stuff. LTA's are considered fairly easy to keep. Next time you get one, I would inspect the foot to make sure this doesn't happen again.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I would bag it up and take it back now so they can see it. They had to be the one who damaged the foot when they removed it to sell to you. Make them give your money back or trade in....

5. dca241

dca241 Astrea Snail

I had a LTA myself which had the same problem (verbatum). The jackass LFS associate seemed frustrated after 2 min when he couldnt get the anemone off the $2 rock i offered to pay for. Since your anemones 'insides' are exposed to everything in your tank, the success rate of keeping this anemone alive is roughly 1:10. Personally, if i were you, i would pull it out of your tank, unless you think u can keep your water, etc. PRISTINE, and DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!! The more you bother it, stress it, etc, the less likely it will survive.. And of course, it will die when your away from your tank the longest ;)

Sorry about your luck, but if you do decide to pull it, its better to lose ~20 bucks than a whole tank.

At least its a learning expericence and u have the comfort of knowing YOU didnt kill it.... :-/

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

see if you can set it on a small rock and set it under your skimmer so if it dies most of the fluid thats harmful will be gone. (MAYBE) I would take it back myself. Sounds like they tore it off the rock. If ya just keep gently pushing on the foot they get irritated and let go then ya can bag em up....And when they do die they dont always take a tank down. I think it might be based on your filtration system. The better the less chance of the toxic fluid floating around in the tank....Anemones are cool animals...

7. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

I would definently remove him, before he crashes everything. you'll know right away if he's dead by the smell, a rotting anemone is the worst smell in this hobby i've smelt yet.
    sorry. got any pics of your full tank?

8. Click Here!

9. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

ok i was informed for proper lighting on a tank u should have 3 watts per gallon... idk if thats true or not... im running a set of t8's and twin 55w pc lights... and was told thats not enough for my tank.. but my anemone seems to b doin good 5 weeks later will post pics tomarrow

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

If the LFS forced the LTA off the rock, they most likely injured its foot. You will need PRISTINE water conditions for it to recover from that, NO ammonia, NO nitrite, NO nitrate, NO phosphates.
    LTAs need A LOT of intense quality light. Remember that 65W of CF is not the same PAR as a comparable (70W) HQI/MH light. You will need to upgrade your lighting if you don't have strong halides to keep an anemone if you have a deep tank.