Shrimp with triggerfish

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jakanala01, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakanala01

jakanala01 Astrea Snail

Does anyone have any shrimp in their tank with triggerfish? Has anyone been lucky with it? Having several cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp or coral banded shrimp would be cool?
    Are the peppermint shrimp or camel shrimp better. Any recommendations?
    Which shrimp do you have in your tank? and why did you choose that one?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I doubt anyone has extended success with triggers and shrimp. Camels are not a reef safe shrimp.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I think shrimp would be on the menu for all trigger fish big enough to eat them
    Niger triggers definitely eat camel shrimp (Dont ask , Doh!)
    if you dont have any fish big enough to eat them
    blood shrimp are a colorful addition to a reef tank IMO

Steve

5. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

Seems like a waiting game, might work while the trigger is small enough. The smaller the shrimp the sooner it should work out.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

You may be able to keep a large mantis shrimp with a trigger

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Nope chances are wont work.even mantis shrimp would be short lived.he would probably make it to the 1st molt nd that would be it.my lfs has the bigggest coral banded I've ever seen in their reef with a small female bluejaw for awhile but that thing is a mutant nd I suspect it wont be long anyways

8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Sorry to say, but in the long term it won't work. I have 2 triggers and NO shrimp. Snails and hermits aren't even safe from them. The pink tail trigger picks up snails and bangs them against the glass to stun them, drops them and then dives in for the kill when they try to right themselves. I have also witnessed the pink tail eat a cleaner shrimp. And this was after they had been together for quite some time and the trigger would even allow the cleaner shrimp to clean her. The only shrimp I have left is the pistol and I think he is only safe because the goby protects him from the Niger trigger.

10. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I have had a Blue throat trigger co-exist with my 3 shrimp. However the trigger is not very big and the shrimp are to big to fit in this mouth right now. But I have had them together for about 4 to 5 months.

11. jakanala01

jakanala01 Astrea Snail

Hey guys

I ended buying two shrimp this weekend. One cleaner shrimp and one blood shrimp (very deep red beauty). Both of them are about 2.5 inches long and whiskers about 3" (i know that doesn't matter). I placed both of them in the tank and both of them went to hide. Within minutes the triggers were all over them. Shrimp souffle. Just joking. All of the fish constantly surrounded the shrimp. The cleaner actually molted one night and I found the shell the next morning. I guess I will enjoy the beauty of the shrimp with all the fish for a year or so as the triggers are about the same size. The blue niger seems to like the cleaner shrimp more. I have not seen the Huma even go near them. I guess only time will tell. Maybe they will all become close friends and live in harmony for 10 years. :)

12. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Most fish respect the cleaner shrimp, and some triggers are known to do well in reefs, such as the blue-throat, sargassum, crosshatch(can become extremely aggressive), and niger(does well with corals, iffy on inverts.) However I am sorry to say that with the species you own, it's only a matter of time before they go missing.