shrimp killing my live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by paulie66, Jul 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

Hi Im new to this site. I need help getting rid of some kind of tunnelling shrimp that is eating my live rock. I cant get it out of the rock. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the shrimp without ruining the rock?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

4. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

Whats it look like.

5. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

It a mantis shrimp. (At least thats what iv been told) Kind of flat with eyes like a crab [​IMG]

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I think you have a shrimp that is living in a hole or holes no mantis I'm familiar with will bore into rock.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Unless the Mantis shrimp has found a home in the hole within the live rock! They do make traps that can effectively catch a Mantis shrimp which you don't want to have in your tank especially a reef tank!

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Smasher mantis can and will beat LR to make new tunnels

10. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

I bought the live rock that had this shrimp in it about six months ago. The owner of the pet store said he has had mantis shrimps appear in his live rock from time to time and if it is one I should get it out of there becase it will eat away at the rock. Im not sure if he really knows what he talking about but I have noticed several large holes in the rock that I dont believe were there when I bought it. Eather way if there is any chance that it could be eating away at my hundreds of dollars of rock I want to get it out of there.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it is a mantis, it is not eating your rock, simply boring into it. The only thing you stand to lose with a mantis in the tank is the ocassional snail and/or hermit crab so if that doesn't bother you, I wouldn't drive myself nuts trying to trap it.

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

+2
    They bore and eat tons of snails.

Jim