shrimp i never knew i had

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by kevink, Oct 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kevink

kevink Astrea Snail

looking at my tank today i found the body of 2 dead little tiny crab, not much of a problem there and a shrimp i dont even know i have before.

its white colour and got a big claw, cant take a picture it move into the rocks everytime i move. it is a pistol shrimp its kinda small in size bout 6-8 cm since i only saw the front of it. should i take it out?

2. Click Here!

3. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

I have had that happen to me before...twice... except my bird nose wrasse found it, grabbed it and then demolished it before I could see what kind of shrimp it was :eek:

As far as the pistol shrimp goes, from what I have heard they are not harmful and can be a welcomed addition to a reef tank, although I am not sure about this... :-/

Cheers,

Breed

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is possibly a shrimp called "sexy Shrimp"! Reef safe though due to their very small and fragile nature, they are best suited in a refugium!

5. pooner

pooner Astrea Snail

It can't be a sext shrimp it is to big,Iwould need a pic

6. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

sounds like a pistol, if indeed one of the claws is larger than the other...would need a picture to verify though....

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

It does sound like a pistol shrimp.
    Does it make a noise during lights off period that sounds like fingers snapping?
    I have one in my tank, IT DONT LET ME SLEEP!