Urgent Shrimp Dying! Don't know what to do!!1

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by KDtrey5, Aug 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

So this mornin my shrimp was doing good, then I looked 3 hours later and he is on his back twitching fluttering and about to die. He even lets me grab him to put him upright. He just molted like 3 days ago too. What is happening please help!!! I have a 20 gallon long and a good amount of rock. Parameters are all good ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 20 going down. Im gna do a water change soon. Please help!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unfortunately KDtrey there is really not much you can do in this instance except try a water change.

It's not uncommon for shrimp to go through a bad molt and this leads to their demise.

I would test pH and SG to make sure they are in line as shrimp do poorly when you have notable swings in both those values.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the shrimp.

4. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

He died as I was putting salt in the ro water. I probably wont get another one until i start dosing iodine and once my tank is fully matured

5. mdbannister

mdbannister Flamingo Tongue

Sorry for your loss. I was going to suggest that you dose iodide if you aren't already. I lost 2 shrimp and then found out that this was necessary. Ever since, I've had no issues.

6. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Be careful dosing iodine its very difficult to acurately test and very easy to over dose.iodide is alittle safe but don't dose it jnless you are testing for it and comfortably testing for it.you may be better off just selecting a salt with a higher amount in it to begin with.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1

If you're doing the routine water changes with a decent salt you should not need to dose iodine.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+2 Had shrimp for years and have never dosed iodine.;)