Show Your Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by FishHobby, Nov 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Catfish Charlie

Catfish Charlie Astrea Snail

I am using the red sea vortex injector, but a DIY bioreactor, I pounched a hole in the cap of a 2 litre soda bottle added a brass fitting and tygon tubing to the injector, I use 1 litre of R/O water 3/4 cup of corn sugar, 1/4 tsp baking yeast, and 1/4 cup of table salt. I have to rinse and refill about once a month I suspect since I am just now at the end of week four with this tank and I seem to need to refill the bottle to produce CO2 again.

>I checked the CO2 "bioreactor" this morning, no alcohol smell and it's still producing a TON of CO2, got a nose full of it when I took a sniff, guess its going to last longer than I thought<

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

are you using a drop checker or anything to check you co2 levels?

Anyway great looking tank K+!!

4. Catfish Charlie

thanks, naw I work from home so I have plenty of time to use up lots of test reagents. I test the pH and KH twice a day about every three days or so. So far its remained stable, but I keep a close eye on it so if it goes off I'll know it quickly, I usually spend at least an hour in fron't each tank (I have five) so I can really observe whats happening.

The next tank to go in will be very automated, 300 reef in the sunroom, got all the parts except the tank and stand. Both of which I am going to build. 84"X24"24" should look nice and a great home for a couple of tangs I know that live in a 90 now.

5. That Guy

Sounds like a nice build!
    I am gonna try out your yeast mix cause i am having trouble getting sufficient co2 into my 5 gallon with my current diy co2 setup...I am using a drop checker and it is always a bit lower than i would want it...

6. Catfish Charlie

corn sugar and salt together is the key the salt retards the action of yeast so you get an extended effect, corn sugar causes the yeast to produce more CO2 than table sugar. Corn Sugar can be purchased through beer making suppliers whether online or a local shop.

The world of yeast is whole other ball of wax but thats a good topic for a baking or beer making forum, which of course doesn't belong here.

7. That Guy

yeah im just using dry active yeast from the super market and regular sugar... this is on my 5 gallon. I also took a protien skimmer that was made for the biocube and turned it into a power reactor and i still dont get the co2 up to par.... So since you get the corn sugar from a brewing supplier are you also using brewers yeast? I have read that brewers yeast is a much more powerful animal in the world of diy co2... Anyway here is my reactor that i built. I thought it would be much more efficient and im positive it has no leaks so i think it has to be the yeast mix.... any thought?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I added a second bottle into the mix to try and get more co2...it works a bit but still not enough according to the drop checker...
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Catfish Charlie

Sacharomyces Cervasae is the yeast you want, but surprise surprise, fleischmans or red star is this type of yeast.

Sacharomeyces Spp:
    Cervasae: Beer and Bread (commercially used and produced for both products
    Exogius: Rarely used for bread, never used for beer (that I know of)
    San Francisco: San Francisco wild yeast that is used for nothing but San Francisco sourdough bread. It lives in symbiosis with a malo-lactic bacteria.

So the stuff from the grocery store is just fine, its usually the incorrect carbohydrate type, and the lack of a retardant that is the issue with DIY CO2 production.

Since I used to own a bakery, and am a total bread/yeast geek, it wasn't difficult for me to figure out.

10. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

[​IMG] hello my name its Gabriel i live in Romania,Bucharest city (east europe) this its my planted tank 92g.

11. That Guy

Gabriel, Beautiful tank!! i admire those who can pull off the dutch style aquascapes...For me i am much more reliant on a solid hardscape foundation. Once that foreground grows a little denser i think the tank will be awesome!

Can you tell us about your lighting, filtration, co2, etc?

12. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

i am happy for you like my aquarium.so:

light its GabrielHomeLight(diy)6x39wT5ho(osram 865).11h/day.

filtration Jebo 828/1200l/h.with 4 basket full with siporax.

co2 injection/reactor(diy),ph controler set 6,5.

gravel ground 2-3mm mix with jbl Florapol

fertilizer:Kno3,K2So4,Kh2Po4,Jbl 24 drop,Jbl Ferropol

parameter:No3=15 Po4=0,5 Fe=0,2 Ph=6,5 No2=0,025 Kh=4 Gh=7

fish:paracheirodon innesi=35,rasbora heteromorpha=15 hemigrammus bleheri=20 siamesis algae eater=8

vertebrate:red cherry shrimps=100,200....600

planted:Heteranthera zosterifolia,rotala indica,rotala rotundifolia,didiplis diandra,glossostigma elatinoides,microsorium pteropus,anubias barteri,echinodorus vesuvius,blyxa japonica,limnophila aromatica.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009