Show Your Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by FishHobby, Nov 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

thanks :) I have really gotten into planted tanks lately and i suggest any reef enthusiast to give them a go! Planted tanks are very cool if setup properly... so anyone that is a true hobbiest should really try their hand at a real planted tank. I'll be willing to bet you will soon have a new addiction aside from reefing!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. That Guy

sure :)
    Well here is the tank after i planted it. These were taken on 11-3-08
    [​IMG]

here is a closeup to see how small the plants were a month ago.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the growth in just over a months time.
    [​IMG]

and one more :)
    [​IMG]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

SOME OF THE BEST I HAVE SEEN! 8)
    What kind of plants are those?

6. That Guy

thank you :)
    the foreground is hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears) and the back ground is Eleocharis parvula (dwarf hairgrass) the dwarf baby tears are growing much faster emmerssed than the dwarf hairgrass but the dwarf hairgrass in my 5 gallon is growing like crazy! So i figure one the baby tears fills in nice and thick i will fill it up with water and the hairgrass will take off.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool! I am going to recommend those plants to a friend of mine. Thanks a lot!

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

for the dwarf baby tears i strongly suggest rich substrate, co2,high light and a strict and good fertilzers! Also if they already have water in the tank try to get some that are attached to rocks. Dwarf baby tears are near impossible to plant because they will always float to the surface. It can take hours to finally get them to stay down in the substrate. So if they have shrimp or any bottom dwellers in the tank the efforts will be futile because i can almost guarantee they will come loose and find them floating or sucked into the filter! So its best to let them get a strong hold with a good root system before adding any fish or inverts that will inhabit the bottom of the tank.
    This is one reason i tore down my old scape and am now growing them emmerssed.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hmmm. good to know. His tank is probably not suited for them then. He has some of that 'made for plants' substrate and good light, but no co2. Thanks for the info!

11. That Guy

the dwarf hairgrass will be a better bet than the dwarf baby tears if it is a carpeting look that your friend is going for.

12. That Guy

here is an update on my little 5 gallon. I keep pruning out the hairgrass to grow it in other tanks. If i would stop stealing it from this tank it would have been a full carpet by now :)
    [​IMG]