Show Us Your Refuge!!!!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by 55gfowlr, Sep 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

[​IMG]

this has since been retired but was gorgeous in its day

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

[​IMG]

Here is my fuge will hopefully be up and running very soon. :) 48x18x18

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Looks nice Dingo, why isn't it still running? I was wondering if I could keep my leathers down in the fuge, right now I'm running one 60-Watt 6500K Equivalent Daylight Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb and I can add another once I get my tempatures under control.

Just not sure if this would be enough for xenia, colt corals, and mushrooms, and devils hand

Also debating on adding hermit crabs to the fuge or not, my DT has no hermits just snails, and I could add a lot of ceriths to the fuge, but i have always liked hermits and their cleaning abilities, suggestions?

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

that was a 6" sand bed. did my tank wonders until it filled up with phosphates and started releasing them back into the tank. this is the exact reason why I dont have a grain of sand in any of my setups today.

And the lighting over this was two 21w 6500k CFL bulbs. I later added 2 24w actinic t5 so the color would be a bit nicer. As you can see i was growing montiporas in there (granted that at this time they were a bit brownish from the light)and any kind of macro i desired (eventually I was successful with ochtodes, dragons breath, and even gracillaria). So you should be fine with those softies IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Thanks Dingo! Looks great, ya I was hesitant on adding a DSB but I did anyway because it's hard to argue against all the surface area it provides for denitrification.

I've had to tweek my heater a lot lately, I have it set down to like 70º and it still keeps turning on even though my tank is at 82º, so until I get that figured out I probably won't be running the lights, although I tried it last night and the lights did not raise the temp it just stayed at 82º

If I can fit the lights, I will reinstall the Biocube stock lighting underneath the cabinet so the fuge can get 10,000k and actinic lighting, then i know i can grow nearly anything short of difficult LPS.

Really wish my LFS sold macro algae other than caelepra and chaeto.

Also wish I grabbed a few mangrove shoots last time I was in Siesta Key, FL. They are just all over and I feel like a dupe buying them when I grew up with mangroves taking over my backyard in the brackish creek that ran through.

I've been having problems with my refugium everytime I move something the new sandbed turns both tanks into dust bowls. Hope this settles but it seems like if I ever move anything that disturbs the sand it's milky reef tank for the next few hours

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I haven't thought of growing corals in my Fuge, (accept for the xenia scrubber) but I did want to try and grow sea horses down there due to the lower flow, but then I saw how much they cost, and heard of the difficulties in keeping them alive and opted out. But the idea of a xenia scrubber is still lingering for my next build.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

[​IMG]here's mine. It's in the middle chamber of a biocube 29. Just chaeto and rock.

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

It's a little more empty today, since we sold off most of the dragon's breath on the left there yesterday. It'll be back in about a month.
    [​IMG]

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

That is awesome!!! Love the color

12. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie