Show Us Your Refuge!!!!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by 55gfowlr, Sep 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Sorry to hear bout the 40, that really sucks. I choose a 20 long for mine too, it was the best fit under my 55, How long did it take for the Chaeto to fill your 20?

2. Click Here!

3. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

In the process of planning one for my 10 gallon frag tank... Thinking a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank, whatcha all think I should go with?

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Ummm...not sure. Started off with a softball size and it took over pretty quickly. By took over I mean it. It was so packed I don't know how the bottom got any light to stay green lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Doesn't look that bad to me. Chaeto is a fast growing demon. I would cut it up into many balls, and see if your LFS will give you store credit for it. Cut int back down to a soft ball sized piece and get rid of the rest, also reduce the amount of light it receives it will slow its growth process.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I'd rather keep it growing as fast as possible and let the only limit on growth be nutrients. Since I switched tanks from the 90 to my current tank it doesn't seem to grow as fast as it did but still grows pretty quick.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I ask simply because mine's been in the tank for several weeks now and I haven't noticed any growth what so ever. Now that my fuge is done, I've been staring at it even more and still dont really eye any sort of major growth. I was thinking of adding more light to the situation, but I may just be getting impatient....lol

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

What kind of light are you using? Type of fixture bulb and spectrum?

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Do you have any nuisance algae growing in your tank? It's also possible your nutrient levels are low enough you don't really need it. Could also be wrong bulb, flow, specific limiting nutrient etc...

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Yeah I gotta pretty crappy bulb in there, plus that's also true, I don't really have any nuisance algae in the DT, but the only thing I can't stand is that my Nitrates are stuck at 40-80, and sort of the point from which I created my Fuge, I was expecting that the Macro's would consume the extra Nitrate, but there's also the same point that I just offset the entire echo system by creating this "new area" for things to gather in so I figured I'd have to wait a few weeks to see the results. "Go slow, Let it grow" "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part" All that stuff, ......... LOL

Patience is what I need right now : )

Everything else as far as parameters are right in the glory hole, I couldn't ask for better results. I'm not disappointed to any extent. I just can't wait for results is all : )

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Hrmm...weird your nitrates are that high and not growing any macro. I have a basic shop light with a spiral cfl right now. It's a low Kelvin like 5600 or something. You gotta look at the packaging and make sure to lget the lowest Kelvin you can.